Flip!

Released this a few months ago. Sorely in need of an update, but hopefully going to get this done over Christmas. Unfortunately it’s a matter of one bloke with little time outside of work.

Pretty simple lights out esque game (I know, doesn’t my evident enthusiasm just draw you in).

https://market.android.com/details?id=uk.co.floor4.flip

FIRST, please go to your developer console and fix your content rating NOW! You are killing yourself. High Maturity is set.

I like the game. Simple and well coded. Animation is nice and smooth and simple, which is appropriate for the game.

Couple things:
I can’t get out of the main menu without pressing home. I don’t know where quit is.

Back Button doesn’t go back when I am playing a level. It should (with a warning message if you like). I had to use the menu button to do the back. My opinion is that the menu button shouldn’t be used unless it is really pulling up an android menu. In a game, use on screen navigation to go back and quit and the back button as a shortcut. That is just my take.

Finally, what the heck is with the size of the app. Almost 7 MB? You are doing something wrong if the app is 7 MB for a game this simple. The size will hurt you.

Regards

Cheers for taking the time to feedback chap. It’s much appreciated.

You mean you missed the levels with the blood and lewd sex acts? Good spot. I remember having a few issues when I was uploading this first time around so must’ve missed that in haste. Lesson #1: Check, check and check again. Then check again a week later.

I like the game. Simple and well coded. Animation is nice and smooth and simple, which is appropriate for the game.

Ta. Started off doing it with actual 3D models, then realised this was daft and created the 2D animations using Blender.

Couple things:
I can’t get out of the main menu without pressing home. I don’t know where quit is.

Added to to-do list

Back Button doesn’t go back when I am playing a level. It should (with a warning message if you like). I had to use the menu button to do the back. My opinion is that the menu button shouldn’t be used unless it is really pulling up an android menu. In a game, use on screen navigation to go back and quit and the back button as a shortcut. That is just my take.

I’ve seen a mix of takes on this when it comes to games that have everything custom drawn for ui controls, and I’m still not sure what the best route is. Let me have a play around and I’ll take this on board. Would you expect the back button to a) open the menu b) reset the current level c) take you to the previous level or d) [arguably more correct] take you back either a level if you’ve just progressed or to the level select screen.

Finally, what the heck is with the size of the app. Almost 7 MB? You are doing something wrong if the app is 7 MB for a game this simple. The size will hurt you.

Been on the todo list since September to dig into. Think I need to clean up some of the textures and have far more frames in my tile animations than are strictly necessary. I had wanted to go with a single package for all devices, but might review that now to manage the sizes better.

I guess Lesson #2 here is: make time to focus on your apps and set deadlines. I’ve been absolutely ruined by the usual Q4 project deliveries & next year project planning at work so my spare time has drifted away from this. I’ve got a few other designs sketched out that’ve just been sitting on my desk as well, so it’s time to set a resolution and get coding.

Personally when I’m playing a game, I like the back button to pause the game & pop up with a menu. This saves me from losing the game state if I accidentally press back (which happens quite often!). The menu should be the same thing that appears when you switch away from the app & come back (pause + resume). Could be something like this:

[[Game Paused]]
==Back To Game==
==Previous Level==
==Main Menu==

Perhaps the same operation for the menu button?

Same here - I’ve been too pre-occupied to do any real app development lately. I’ve kept up the website maintenance mainly, and hope to do some more actual development over the Christmas break. The main thing will be setting a goal - coding’s the easy part :slight_smile:

FYI. Added a five star review to the market to do my tiny little bit of promotion. Good luck

Rightyho, there’s an updated version up on the Market (…Play). As I was re-writing it for the PlayBook I took on the recommendations here. Buttons now available both for pausing and quitting, size reduced and textures cleaned up. I’ve also included a new “Classic” mode to create random lights out style boards.

Just downloaded the new update. Looks nice, except for one thing. From the main menu, when I click “?” (help), an ad covers the first few words at the top of the screen. Every other screen seems fine, just for the help I can’t see half of the first few words.

Cheers. Should be fixed now. Typo where I had done some vertical positioning relative to width rather than height!

Awesome! How’s that for speedy iteration on feedback? :slight_smile:

Edit: Oops, looks like it’s happening again :-/ Here’s what I see:
[attachment=65]
I’ve had similar issues with some of my apps, where the ad would load after layout was calculated, and that messed everything up. Or maybe it’s just my screen size? (Samsung Galaxy S II) 4.3" screen, 480x800 I believe.

P.S. Ignore the 1-pixel bar at the top of the screenshot - that’s Micro CPU Monitor

index_landing_page.png

Hmm. I’ll look into it, thanks for the ss. Not used TapIt before so I wonder if it’s doing some strange size ads.

Oooh. Is there now a setting to go full width with MCM?

Yep - the latest version has a new setting for width. A few people were asking for the feature, so I went ahead and added it :slight_smile: