Do I need to inform users about anonymous data collection?

Hello and happy new year everyone!

In my new game I would like to collect some information about how the users perform while playing (time needed to complete a level, number of deaths etc.) and send those numbers to my server. However there will be no way to connect a dataset to a specific user.
Am I obligated to inform my users about this?
If so, how do ad networks track clicks on their units legally without disclaimers an opt-out mechanisms? For me that is pretty much the same thing…

Hard to tell. A privacy policy would be probably a proper way to inform the user. Right now Google doesn’t require one though, so I’m not sure.

Okay, after a bit of googling I found that you actually need a privacy policy when you use AdMob/Other Ad Networks/Analytics in your App or it is against Google’s terms!

Terms of Use | AdMob
https://www.iubenda.com/blog/2013/09/30/privacy-policy-admob/

And yet almost none of the apps actually have one.

Makes me curious how many Play/Admob account bans there are because of that and if the owners saw this as a possible cause for the ban.

Yeah I think I’m putting that on my TO-DO list. I mean you can use the same URL link for all apps/games and just host it on a website.

Yes, you are required to have a “EULA” End User License Agreement when collecting data from your users. Your users must be notified and if Google finds out you are doing this, I think they may ban your app. I know Airpush added an opt-in for EULA in order for it to be Google compliant.

It wasn’t related.

Is there actual evidence Google requires a privacy policy? Please someone post actual text location of if so.

I can’t seem to find any evidence it’s required.

Thanx

@mrBruce: Ads | Android Developers

YOUR PRIVACY POLICY. If User is a publisher, User will have and abide by a privacy policy that discloses that third parties may be using cookies, web beacons, and other technologies to collect information as a result of ad serving through User’s Mobile Properties. If User collects, processes, or discloses location-based information in connection with the Services, User must follow a legal and appropriate method for obtaining explicit consent from User’s end users and make appropriate disclosures in User’s privacy policy.
Terms of Use | AdMob

Google Products that require a privacy policy

Well, can’t argue with that one, thanx mind.

@Shardik, the first link is for admob, and I don't know how to get to that specific page, but they clearly do not require a privacy policy according to their terms here: https://support.google.com/admob/answer/1307237?hl=en, unless I missed it somewhere.

Also, Shardik, it seems the Google analytics link only requires a policy if you use ‘Display Advertising’ or cookies. Also, it seems it’s not for apps but for web pages, I don’t know, it strangely worded. At least that’s how I read it. Anyhow, it’s irrelevant because the EULA required by GP will cover all that.

So, according to GP not only do we need a privacy policy, but now it must be in the form of a EULA? Great.

It’s a “recommended approach” which is also extremely stupid and fortunately no one does that. Just put privacy policy link in developer panel (it will be visible on the app page) if you want to be sure. There are online generators of privacy policy by the way.

When i first use Google Analytics (v2) i have read you must write you collect information, in description or policy page. And i do like that