Huge drop in downloads from 26 june

Hello,

I’m seeing a huge drop in downloads starting at june 26.

Downloads dropt by 50% for a certain game. Now the strange thing is, I have an older unpublished version of that game and suddenly on Chartboost statistics I saw an increase of installs for the old unpublished version and a drop for the new published version. It seems to be that chartboost is mixing up those installs. On google play stats I still saw 0 downloads for the old version, but the drop of installs for the new version remained 50%. Yesterday Chartboost counted 361 installs for the old unpublished version and 5 installs for the published version, google play stats is showing 0 installs for the unpublished version and 322 installs for the published version.

I saw a few topics where people also had a huge drop, but their google analytics and ranks remained the same:

http://forums.makingmoneywithandroid.com/android-development/23141-google-play-stats-huge-drops-downloads-8th-june-9th.html

My game did drop in rank and until this day the downloads are still 50% from what they were before this happened. In the announcement was mentioned that google was updating the way they are doing the stats and from time to time there is also the “temporarily statistics delay” showing up.

Anyone else having the same problem and is there a way to e-mail google about this?

Thanks

I have also experienced this exact issue. My downloads went from 4-6k/day to 2-3k/day starting june 26. I have no idea what is causing this.

Oke so I’m not the only one, it’s a strange issue.

It happened to us also for one of our games, its downloads dropped by more than 50% and are still extremely low. The others remained the same though…

I think the Google play indexes are messed up ,
Google must be playing with some new algorithms

This seems plausible because of them utilizing a new form of “installation statistics” tracking from June 27.
I hope things will get back to normal soon though.

Knowing google it will probably stay like this, because the’re evil.

my downloads are actually up since about a week or so…

I’m experiencing the exact same thing and I was already searching for the reason. Glad I found this thread. Unfortunately it did hit my absolutely top app. I had at least 16k downloads a day. On 26th it suddenly dropped to 12k. And unfortunately it still does not stop. Right now I just got around 7k downloads. And it still is getting worse. Very sad story. Another app got some more traction instead but it is not able to compensate because it is targeting a not so good paid audience. Shit happens.

I really wish they would undo this change. Maybe they are just looking how it goes for a month or so. But certainly the change is meant to be permanent.

When algorithms changed, certain people will get more downloads, and certain people will get less downloads.

Yes, and only the ones facing the drop will post about it. The ones getting a jump in their downloads won’t! That’s how things are… you seldom get to see the other side.

I think that finally my downloads stabilized and stopped to drop even further. Furthermore I got some increase in revenue yesterday and I also noticed a slightly increase in downloads. Maybe this is just the near weekend but maybe things are getting good again. We will see. :slight_smile:

This drop really messed my stuff up. I got so much downloads a day and suddenly they had been gone. Resulting in an overshooting uninstallation rate that probably killed my rank and resulted in even less downloads and even more overshooting… Now it seems like it compenasted and things could get back to normal. I really hope so. Interesting is that my other app that got traction after the drop is decreasing again (I don’t really care). Maybe they slightly changed something again to the better. Who knows.

i have the exact same problem. i have a app which had 14k downloads. now it dropped to 6k

Strange, I have opposite situation. Usually had about 2k downloads daily, in 2 weeks period I hit 20k daily downloads :X

My downloads turned back to normal :slight_smile:

I can confirm. For me everything is back to normal. But my revenue is not at that high level it was before. The rpm is very low these days ($ 0,25 vs $ 0,41 one month ago). But thats another story and I suppose it will get better in time, too.

I have took few days off and didn’t have any app uploaded .its for sure if the downloads are getting less it would directly affect ranking ,may be play store 's network might be down and the user may not be very much interested to wait long for respond .keep play store updated with this issue so its in their notice.

I see drop in all my games from 28 July. Anyone experienced the same?