What should I do?

Hello,

I have developed a small app and that app was published in Google Play for almost three years now. My app is called FonPrompt and it is a Remote Control for PowerPoint. My app is well behaved, does exactly it’s purpose, I only saw six crashes and no ANR’s at all. My app exists in two versions, Free and Pro (the free Version works only two weeks).

So, all over no issues with my app at all. Now two weeks ago, I changed a little bit in my description, nothing significant, and shortly after that I have received an eMail from Google saying that my app submission was rejected because of “Violation of the spam provision of the Content Policy”. And yes, I must honestly admit, I was kind a lacy with that brand name in the front thing, I published with the title “PowerPoint Remote Control”. Yes my mistake, I changed the title consistently in all the translations, resubmited the app and everything was good again.

Now yesterday, out of the blue, I received an other eMail from Google, telling me that my app was removed because of “Violation of the intellectual property and impersonation or deceptive behavior provisions of the Content Policy.”

In both cases, they only complaint about the Paid/Pro App. So the first thing I did, I unpublished my free app. And my paid app had a suspended in the console. I was suspecting my feature graphic:

feature_graphic.jpg

Then I replaced my feature graphic with something boring (Just the App Logo and a text). After republishing and waiting, my Google Play console looks fine. However, after doing some Googeling about the consequences of warnings and suspensions, I am kind a concerned now. Right now they are both unpublished. This is my App description:

This App needs a Windows Software installed on a Windows Computer having PowerPoint installed. Download and install FonPrompt4PPT from FonPrompt - The Remote Control in your Android Phone

After Starting FonPrompt4PPT(.exe), select the Presentation and PowerPoint will start the Slideshow. A first Slide with a QR Code will appear.

Start the FonPrompt Android App. Touch the “Start Pairing” Button and scan the QR Code using the FonPrompt App.

After Pairing your Phone with the Presentation, the Titles of the Slides are shown in a List. Page through your Presentation with Phone Volume Control or touch the Slide Titles on the Phone Screen.

Credit:
This Software uses Code from the ZXing (Zebra Crossing) Project. ZXing is a great QR Code Library, published under the Apache 2.0 License.
ZXing Website: GitHub - zxing/zxing: ZXing ("Zebra Crossing") barcode scanning library for Java, Android
Apache 2.0 License: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
Microsoft, Windows, Office and PowerPoint are Products from Microsoft Corporation.

The other thing is, I was a kind a exxessive with the App’s package ID: de.fonprompt.remote.control.ppt.powerpoint.presentation

So what should I do? Could it have been the feature graphic? I got it on Fiverr and I don’t realy see any copyright issues with that? Or is there still something wrong with my description? Or is my package ID to spammy?

I didn’t have that much success, so it wouldn’t hurt that much to keep it unpublished. Especially now, that Microsoft has published there own remote control, the market for PowerPoint Remote Controls is probably dead. But it would hurt me personaly, because I spent quite some effort in it… But on the other hand, I also don’t want to be kicked out of Google Play…

Your thought’s are appreciated. Kind regards,
Thomas.

Nobody will tell you the exact reason, only Google knows it and they won’t help you. Now it seems that everytime you publish or update an app they scan your description, that could be the reason for not having problems in years and be suspended now. It doesn’t mean that your app description was ok before the update, only that they didn’t check it.

There is the believe that using the “for PowerPoint” or “for whatever” is ok but i can’t tell for sure, using other brands names is dangerous in Google Play.

Your featured graphic is using the PowerPoint logo, that could be another reason.

What i can tell you for sure is that your account is flagged now and they will be watching. Next minimal error and you’ll be banned forever.

My advice, forget this account and create a new one, i think you can publish your old apps in the new account. Don’t try your luck with Google if you want to keep being an Android developer.

Anyway this is only my opinion, wait for other voices.

Good luck :slight_smile:

You got banned probably because most of “REMOTE CONTROL” apps are spam crap fake apps. And unfortunately your app had very similar name …

Is that so? I mean, I saw something like 10 other Remote Control Apps for PowerPoint in Google Play, yes some of them are buggy and some crash right after start, but I wouldn’t call that spam…

Quick Update: I took the risk…

I have just republished FonPrompt with a new Feature Graphic. And I have also kicked out all Languages in the description that I don’t understand.

Lets see if I will stay a Android developer. If not, I still have my normal job :=)

If you guys want to see my new Feature Graphic: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.thomaslankes.fonprompt

But that’s how it works… They ban 90% of scam apps, but somehow never 100%. I’ve decompiled many of the Remote Control Apps. Most of them have empty code that just do nothing when you press buttons…