I am tracking my Android app on Google Analytics. Why do I appear to have Macintosh u

The facts:

1. My company has developed an Android app.
  2. My company has NOT developed an iOS version to this app in anyway.
  3. I have created a Google Analytics account, opened a mobile app tracking ID, and connected it to my Android app using the SDK (this was not done by me, rather by our developer).
  4. Our app launched and has some users according to both our Google Analytic’s account and the Google Play Developer Console account.
    In the Google Analytics if I examine the operating systems of my users my operaiting split is:

Android - 91.69%
Macintosh - 8.05% (Macintosh 10.10)
iOS - 0.26% (iOS 8.1.2)

Where are the Macintosh and iOS users coming from?

someone is trying to create a clone for iOS? and maybe is running the app in emulator? about iOS - maybe they use your analytics key in the test version for iOS - you will be surprise how stupid are some people… the cloners will not die any time soon

I’m not sure I understand how they’d gain access to the Analytics key.

the key is in the code - when you decompile java - everything is there. @Meir

Thanks for the message John. I am not a developer, could you elaborate a bit on that? What will I find when decomplining the code?

source code(all data and keys) -> compiled byte code(A) -> but the byte code may be decompiled -> source code(all data and keys)
ask your developer for more info or google it. compiled java byte code may be decompiled to source code - one of the Pros and Cons of Java. @Meir

I have same problem. I’m only publish my app on google play but google analytics data report that some device use Macintosh. :)).

Very interesting. Thanks @johna

@Meir
another info: used google - some users think that it may be the network headers - Android phone using iPhone or Mac as wireless hot spot - rewriting the network headers.

@johna I’ll take that into consideration too.

I’ve sent a mail to Google, hope to get a conclusive answer.

I also see a lot of Mac users in the last 3 days, and my app is only Android.
But they do nothing, no screens opened, average time in app 0:00
Probably it’s a Google Analitycs bug.

@johna @dontstop @Davide Rusconi

I got a message from someone on another forum saying that it’s possible to download and access Android apps on a mac using a chrome extension. I’m not sure this is what’s cuasing it, but something to consider.

https://www.google.co.il/?gws_rd=cr&ei=pEAQVeG0GKfW7AaUkYDACA#newwindow=1&safe=off&q=can+you+run+android+apps+on+mac

@Meir
Chrome extension is known project - google will bring Android Apps to the Desktop systems. I even sent one of my Apps to be included in the testing by Google. If it made it in the list or not - I dont know

Investigating a bit more in GA…

• all those users coming from chrome, latest version
  • referral social-buttons.com, so someone is sharing a link to it
  • all coming nearly at the same time of the day, but from all over the world

I still see many mac users, found out it’s just GA spam.
More infos here:
What is Referrer Spam? and Why you should Stop it! | Ohow