Existing app banned due to possible spyware

Hello.

I know this has been commented a lot.

I had an app which records video and takes pictures on background only if you fire the action (so, you - owner of the device - can fire recording video at 00:50 of today or just start know if you want to).

Today I’ve added a picture feature and new design (nothing else new) and updated the app on the Store and they sent me the following email:

This is a notification that your application, spyCamRecorder - Record n’ SPY, with package ID spy.cam.record, has been removed from the Google Play Store.

REASON FOR REMOVAL: Violation of the dangerous products provision of the Content Policy.

Please refer to the policy help article for more information.
After a regular review, we have determined that this app is promoted as a means of carrying out spying or surreptitious tracking of others. We consider these apps to be spyware and in violation of the policy provision cited above. If your app has a policy-compliant purpose beyond surreptitious tracking and spying, then that should be clear from the app’s name, description and marketing materials, and the app should provide regular or persistent notifications that it is tracking device location or activity. Please review our Spyware help center article for more information.

[…]

it was just sent when I’ve just updated the app.

I appealed saying that is very clear that only the user fires the action because it’s his own device and it has the same behaviour than other apps for lost/stolen phone.

My questions are:
[ol]
[li]Have you ever had this specific ban?
[/li][li]How much time do they take to reply?
[/li][li]What should I do if they reject my appeal ? It’s very clear that I don’t have any spyware… I wouldn’t like to load the app again to get again banned…
[/li][/ol]

Thank you for your time.

Well, I have never been to any situation like this one previously means I can’t help you much on this one but any ways as far as the reply is concerned they will respond you back with in 3-4 business days or sometimes its more faster ! And if they reject you appeal then I don’t think there’s anything you can do other than concentrating onto something different now and seed your apk outside the Google PlayStore using your own… :frowning: or can seed your apk by taking help from stores other than Google PlayStore, there are a number of them available and people do seems to use those store too… so you can try checking them out too … !

Today I removed the app, and I uploaded a new app without the word “spy”… saying that the user can record in background.

Has been banned as well… I don’t understand anything.

Is recording in background illegal for Google ?

Yes Spying and all apps doesnt come in Google compilance

Hi saulhudson.

For the love of God please remove your app.

I had a Bitcoin price tracker app and was banned 2 weeks ago because I used DONATIONS, which tons of other apps have.
App got banned, but at the time I didn’t know that since the ban was very vague like in your case.

The appeal will not work, you will be denied and just get an automated response, don’t even bother.

BUT, once you are flagged there is a VERY BIG CHANCE that you will get banned again. Please remove your app asap. Don’t tell me you haven’t been warned.

My app got banned twice for the same stuff until I gave up.

BE WARNED: At 3 bans your dev account gets suspended for life ! You won’t be able to create a new one.

Who knows they might be using the Keyword itself Spy may be triggering the alarm up !

Spying is against policy, you should not attempt again. 3 bans = suspend.

@Mythul If you have a banned Bitcoin price tracker app, definitely upload it to https://catalog.skubit.com. It caters to bitcoin users and developers. It lists your donation address within the market client. You can also do bitcoin in-app using the IAP library.
@saulhudson give skubit market a try as well. It can’t hurt and you can delete your app anytime.

This time it will be better to remain alerted, why don’t you try changing the name to something different ! :slight_smile: Take it something that ends with voice …

spy worked in 2012, 2013. Not now https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Spy&c=apps

Well, @awesomeapps we I guess this might be the reason why spy keyword is isn’t working any more as I can see there are a bulk of apps having the keyword spy ! (thinking)