is creating apps with FLOPPY = banned?

recently i created an app with “FLoppy” and celebrity name on it, after 5 hours my app got suspended. Any clue why this happens? thanks

Because Google believes that it can create algorithms to address problems.

In this case, due to the large number of Flappy Bird clones, the algorithm looks something like this:

if app == 'flappy bird':
  return
if title.contains('flappy'):
  ban()
if description.contains('flappy'):
 ban()

Typical lazy programmer BS…

And with Google, because algorithms are used, you cannot just call Google up, talk to a real live person and ask “wtf is my screensaver called ‘flappy branches flapping in the wind’ banned ?”… and have them look at it and say “well… that seems to be a mistake… let me get that fixed!”.

Soo… yeah… you are screwed. Also… if you get 2 more apps suspended ANYTIME in the future, you hit the ‘3 warnings = account ban’ issue…

Forget floppy. Try flapsy. The new flapsy bird game for wear has got lot of attention.

Also celebrity name leads to bans. Mot always, but often.

AFAIU, for copyright infingements, right?

I don’t think it’s copyright related, as individual words or names can’t be copyrighted (afaik), although they could be trademarked. I think it is more about Google implementing the catch all “no misleading etc apps” condition in the Ts and Cs.

so you made a flappy bird clone (which will get no downloads at all, generates no money at all, will be considered as crap anyway), used a well known word “floppy” (considered as spam) and also made use of a celebrity name (which in most cases features a company or registered individual by the way) … there is not much left what you could possible doing wrong :slight_smile:

The problem is not “floppy” … the problem is, that the market is flooded with crappy clones all using the same “buzz words” and infringe IP. you should not wonder, that the ban hammer is in auto-click mode …

Side Note: If you try to use a foreign used/advertised “name-or-whatever” to advertise your product or to “trick” consumers, you are doing so illegaly. there is no doubt about that and every court will agree to that

I think the problem is that a LOT of people do not grow up in countries with strong copyright laws (US/UK/etc)… they just don’t see copying stuff from youtube or using a company’s logo etc as ‘stealing’ … then they get all butt-hurt when the ban hammer drops.

You need to realize that you are working with a foreign company (Google) who operates under foreign laws (not yours). You either play by their rules, or you don’t get to play in their sandpit…

I would rather ask why did you create it?

We know from painful experience that letting a third-party layer of software come between the platform and the developer ultimately results in substandard apps, and hinders the enhancement and progress of the platform. If developers grow dependent on third-party development libraries and tools, they can only take advantage of platform enhancements if and when the third party chooses to adopt the new features, We cannot be at the mercy of a third party deciding if and when they will make our enhancements available to our developers.

I agree with this thought. Even in 2017.

for whаt r u creаted it???