Multiplayer cloud - any opinion?

I am working on realtime multiplayer game which won’t be very small and simple. I need some matchmaking system, storing data about player, logging in etc. What do you suggest? Google Play Services seems to be reasonable choice but as far as I know it’s not cload stored, it’s p2p which causes lots of lags. Other option would be appwarp or photon. Do you have any experience with it?

First you need an idea about real traffic volume, max players, netcode (realtime, physics, FPS, RTS, round based etc). There is no one-for-all-solution :slight_smile:

I use app wrap and it is good. They have easy to use api. I don’t have big user base yet so I can’t comment about performance

Also I just want to mention: Integrating good multiplayer: <10% is actual packet transfering … the rest is your netcode. Means, movement prediction/extrapolation, anti-cheat, etc. There is a special reason why netcode-developers are the top paid ones :slight_smile:

If you only have a low amount of concurrent players all those multiplayer stuff is not THAT complicated, it’s doable, but planning MMO … that’s another world :slight_smile: If this is not working your main game concept will not work thus having no players at all…

I plan to make something similiar to Run Alien but with few characters avaialable, few abilities and statisctics, more levels, upgrading your character etc. I have some ideas to movement prediction etc already (theoretical for now). I know its gonna be hard job.

They have only 2m free messages/month. Isn’t it too low?

I have a turn based game and 2m is enough. Do your calculations calculations see how many msges you you need. I found them to be the cheapest.
You know, if your user base grows alot then you can always go to the next plan

Yep but it would be nice if the growth means money to afford (still relatively cheap) next plan. 20 CCU is ammount that should easly earn for it (this is what Photon gives in free plan) I am afraid that 2mln in realtime multiplayer my be too low. But as you said, I will need to make some calculations but it’s too early for that yet.

Have you used their cloud storage as well?

I used their app42 if that what you mean. I used logging, social, users and leaderboard. Straightforward.
They They have appwrap S2 on premises, which is server side and has 500ccu free. I didn’t use it but you can check it out

WHat is the differenc despite of it’s not in cloud?

With s2 you can make server coding and extend the functionality of appwrap. It is ccu based not traffic based. Check the differences on the website as I really don’t know.