Appodeal Network behaving very wierd. Unmonetized video ads

Hello,
A few days ago I published my first app and boosted it with my YT channel. The day my video got out(yesterday morning) my app displayed about 800 non skippable videos and 600 interstatials, all from Appodeal. Now, the day after, all of the stats for yesterday have arrived and i was in for a surprise:

I discovered that for 1400 filled ad request, let me add, ad requests that are supposed to be the most expensive of all types, I made only $0.8 in revenue, furthermore I found out that a single video ad displayed in Switzerland made me $0.7 with a few others filling the remaining $0.1 so basically about 99% of the ads my game displayed went completely unmonetized, absolutely nothing! Today, the same story continues :frowning:

I ask you, is this normal, because on this very website I saw people talking of eCPMs for non-skippable videos well beyond $7, $8 or even $10?

Any thoughts?

Impressions are counted immediately in the Dashboard but revenue takes up to 48 hours to show (it depends on the ad network). I guess by the time your will read this message your income will already be there. I have been using them for more than 6 months and they have had some delayed reports in the past but money eventually appears

I really hope you’re right about this. It’s not 3 days later and still nothing :confused: I spoke to them about this and they said something about training ad networks in the beggining, opimizing, bla, bla, bla. Basically nothing that would explain this behavior. I’m working on an update currently and I plan on making half my video ads go through another network, just to compare, I’m thinking of Vungle, any suggestions?

Hey there! I can understand the frustration you must be feeling at seeing those numbers. It’s true - it does take time for the networks to optimize performance in the beginning, as they each analyze your app’s traffic and performance. There’s a sort of “ramp-up” period, if you will.

I would actually suggest what you’re saying, as well, especially considering the size of your traffic. What I would recommend is to try out different networks one by one to see which one performs well for your app in your targeted geos. The benefit of doing this from inside of Appodeal (turning networks on and off), is that you won’t have to remove and integrate any additional networks. You can simply go in through Segments and enable or disable whichever you please.

In addition, I would suggest doing one network at a time, rather than testing half and half simultaneously. The reason for this is because, simply, networks perform better the more traffic you send their way. So try Vungle for a week or two, versus AdColony, AppLovin, etc. I think this is the best strategy, given your particular app.

Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions or concerns! :slight_smile:

This is interesting. So if ad networks have a ramping up period, how long are we supposed to wait until we see better epcm? I had a similar issue with Appodeal. I tested out a rewarded video. It showed that there was a rewarded video impression, but there was no revenue from it. I wasn’t expecting a lot, but I wasn’t expecting nothing. Maybe 1 penny.

It really depends on several factors specific to your app, like the size and source of traffic. Some apps see a shorter ramp-up period, and for some apps it takes a bit more time to pick up. Networks tend to prioritize higher traffic, so those inevitably get moving faster. It’s common, though, whether you work with a mediation solution or an ad network directly, to see little or no revenue from the very first impressions.