Google now removing genuine reviews and ratings

Hi,

Recently we launched our app and gave it about 5K installs from top ad networks, we got about 14 ratings and review as in our game we do not push or ask users to rate via pop ups , the average rating was 4, then what we saw that google removed 9 ratings , like a few 5 and 4 , ofcourse they were all genuine…

Is this because the new google algo that might be in play right now , not able to recognise between right and wrong review, also how can we stop this as good genuine positive review are so helpful …

Regards
Rajiv

You have used fake reviews before so they might have flagged your app I think…

@NokiaDev - But its a different app from a business account nothing to do with previous test app …Well i came across this post here at MMWA itself - http://forums.makingmoneywithandroid.com/promote-your-android-app/15497-google-removing-90%-reviews-ratings-anyone-else.html , it seems its an annual ritual …but very strange indeed …

This happens to me almost every morning from some time. I see almost every day some ratings disappear and the apps which get a big number of ratings are affected the most. The problem is that I never used fake reviews and those are all genuine.
I’m thinking that google must have conduct a study to see the behavior of people who give genuine rate and maybe they have found a correlation between some factor and genuine ratings. Probably this factor can be the (usage time + uninstallation time). Maybe they decided that if users give 5 star rate but they don’t use the app so much and uninstall it in short period, google just delete the rate. Maybe google needs some kind of feedback from us to modify this algorithm. It’s a good example on how even excellent google programmers guys can suck.

@ardi - that super silly(for google), so a mobile device has limited space and people try new games all the time, if i like an app and then come across another one that has large size, i will uninstall old one’s even if i like them or if i had just installed them as i want to try a new game, so to kill positive reviews and ratings is bad…

Some time i feel those who cheat google on a large scale are better off as trying to be honest with google has very low returns …

Regards
Rajiv

I fully agree with you. Google removes the reviews and ratings daily. The funny thing is that it removes the review by a genuine person, whose review was on play store for one week. I wonder what was the Google algorithm thinking for that removal ?? :slight_smile:

@Neerav - well is there any google forum where one can report this …

Regards
Rajiv

Now and then I also notice reviews being removed, but I don’t pay much attention to it since I always get new reviews.

And I have never bought any reviews.

No man, I will tell you if I find something. May be senior members here can help us…!!

Regards
Neerav

You just admitted you used fake rating for your other app :). Now you blame whole ecosystem and pretend you are honest :slight_smile:

Nah my friend they are tried review service…it’s not about honest…they are new to this system so they don’t know about fake review sites…never discourage them with these messages

@jim- we unpublished the app and reported the 3 reviews as spam on our own, i was just saying that some genuine reviews and ratings were taken down for no reason , we had spent a good amount to get those downloads from very reputed advertiseres… @NokiaDev - thanks for understanding this is our first time …

Regards
Rajiv

I think this system of review and download purchase is only for getting the platform for launch. It becomes sooo difficult for a novice developer to get noticed in millions of applications. Obviously, organic growth is must for long term sustainability as this practice can’t sustain for a longer duration .So, I don’t think review exchange or review buying is wrong completely…