Google Mobile ads SDK 7.0.0 Alert

Do you guys get the alert of sdk 6.4. 1 or older are deprecating on Sept 15…I have some projects in Eclipse and what version is the highest in Eclipse ADT for Google Mobile ads… anyone of you know the latest version of Google Mobile ads in Eclipse not Android studio…I don’t have my PC with me right now…

I got the alert too!
Some questions:

1. Does someone know how to get the current Admob version programatically?
  2. I’m almost sure that if you use the Google Play Services lib the Admob version is much newer that 7.0.0, or not?
  3. I googled for a while and havent found any documents about Admob versions or release logs. Any links?
    Thanks in advance

If your using the Google Play Services for admob then your already good to go as play services started with version 7+ current one is 8+

google Play services is 7+ current version is 8+

GoogleMobileAdsSDK.jar is the old one and should be tossed out. I thought they depracated it last year. If your already using Google Play Services for admob then your good to go already.

Also got the same Alert. They are asking to upgrade to 7.0.0 SDK.

I am already using Google Play Services for admob ads. What is the procedure to upgrade to 7.0.0 version?

I am always trying to have the latest libraries (play services, sdk version etc)

Looking for the same …as @DroidGenie said present Google play services version is 8 then we are good but I am confused…

Then you are good to go. First version ever of play services is version 7.

Oh.
So does it mean that we need not to upgrade to any version this time and can ignore their mail?

In fact we need not to manually update the sdk ever as it will be updated automatically?

Yes, but its a good practice to keep always the latest Google play services library.

I would love to update the latest version of the lib.

But many of mine projects are into Eclipse and just now i tried updating play services lib from SDK manager.
Playe services is located at “<PATH>\sdk\extras\google\google_play_services” folder. After update is finished, it wiped out old lib and filled the folder with something else.
Bottomline is that Is there any proper procedure to update the play services lib for Eclipse???

Yes, download Google Play Lib from GitHub in some of Google projects since they have to include it

You could delete the folder and let SDK manager identify that its missing and re-download it. it should fix the problem.

“google_play_services” folder has below directory structure. When i deleted “google_play_services” folder and installed again from SDK Manager, libproject is missing in new update.

• docs
  • libproject
  • samples
  • source.properties

When i deleted “google_play_services” folder and installed again from SDK Manager, libproject is missing in new update. Below is the new directort structure.

• docs
  • samples
  • source.properties

Its like, new update does not have this folder. “libproject” folder contains the play services lib and we import that in the work space to add to our projects. :mad::mad::mad:

They want everyone to move to gradle based builds, plus the google play services library has over 65k methods which is higher than the method limit.

You will need to use the specific library for the ads and not the whole play services library.

I’d suggest you to move to gradle and android studio , after one app it should be easy. I did it with my apps two years ago and they work well.

hmmmm… I make new apps into gradle only. Making apps from scratch into Studio is OK.
But there will be lots of pain in ass moving 12-13 eclipse projects to Studio. I tried moving once and got hell lots of errors… this not supported… that not supported… bla bla…

But as DroidGenie said that Google Play services is atleast 7.0 version and does not need upgrade. i mean atleast it should work. i know that sticking to latest SDK is always good.

I also have problems handling Studio. I cant even change a package name there. Even with Eclipse I am still a noob, but at least some stuff are easy to do there.

Wrong! Admob with google play services didn’t start with version 7+. It started with version 4.0. Here’s the official release notes for the Google Mobile Ads SDK. - https://firebase.google.com/docs/admob/release-notes

How to upgrade to 7.0 or Latest version in eclipse then?

And is it taken care in Studio OR even we need some circus there to upgrade?

I think the release-notes versions are google play service versions but it says Google Ads Sdk on the page,and in the email said lower than 6.4.1 will stop serving ads. So far I understand 6.4.1 is stand alone sdk. it is so confusing.