Pollfish Surveys (monetize without ads) - New Showcase App on Google Play

Hello everyone,

After several requests from our app partners we have recently released a new app on Google Play store where you can see:

• the different integration options for Pollfish surveys (Standard and Incentivized one)
  • the different survey formats available (Basic and Playful).

This way you can easily see the experience that your users will have, based on the approach you follow.

Regarding survey inventory, we had a decrease during the summer months since most business in the market research marketplace are not quite active, however we have great news for the next months after new big contracts signed with market research companies and brand agencies! We are working around the clock to bring more and more surveys on the platform. More surveys, mean more money; more money means happy app partners :slight_smile:

You can download new Pollfish demo app here:

Hm this looks interesting.
Is this allowed by Google? Do we need to change maturity or something?

Hello Sab, thank you for your message. Pollfish surveys have been around for almost 3 years now on Google Play Store and widely used among app publishers. You can have a look at public stats from third party sites regarding usage, like AppBrain here. Regarding content rating of the app it depends on whether you decide to go with draws option and gift prompt to the user. You can read in detail here.

If you still have questions please let me know, I will be happy to help :slight_smile:

What is the size of the sdk and which permissions do I need?

What is your average eCPM and fill rates (all over the world) ?

@thanasis00 footprint is around 200k and you only need the standard internet permission that you most probably have if accessing the internet, nothing more:

<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.INTERNET” />

@tobiblueeyes we do not use standard terminologies with ad networks since the process of completing surveys is quite different. Fill rates are not stable since they depend heavily on survey creator needs as they come and go to the platform in order to use our DIY survey tool. Generally speaking we have 2 different formats of surveys, Basic and Playful. Basic Surveys are usually surveys with 7-12 questions that pay minimum $0.30 per completed survey and this price can go up to $2. It is a shared revenue model.Playful Surveys are small image question surveys (3-4 questions) that have a fluctuating price. On average they pay $0.06 - $0.08. They can be disabled through Pollfish Developer Dashboard. Regarding survey inventory in different geos, we are very strong in US. Then UK, Germany and Russia follows while in other areas inventory mostly fluctuates.

What’s the difference between the three PollFish Indicator Settings: Recommended, More and Full Money? The descriptions are a bit vague as to what display one time, regularly or constantly means. For example, showing indicator regularly but panel just one time doesn’t make sense 'coz I believe clicking on the indicator will open the panel again, no? :confused:

Hello @androidev, as you may see here:

Pollfish Indicator Settings refer to intrusiveness of Pollfish surveys within an app. These settings can be changed easily through Pollfish Developer Dashboard and changes apply instantly within the app.

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 11.56.10 AM.jpg

Pollfish provides 3 different types that you can choose regarding Pollfish Indicator Settings:

• Recommended

• More

• Full Money

• Pollfish indicator: is the small red rectangle that users see within the app.

• Pollfish Panel is the first screen that users see when they click on Pollfish indicator.

Pollfish Indicator Settings:

Recommended:

With this setting Pollfish indicator is shown with the app to the user when a survey is available. If user sees the indicator up to 4 times without clicking it, Pollfish panel opens and Pollfish survey first screen is shown to the user (same effect when user clicks on indicator). This happens only once. After that user always see Pollfish indicator.

More:

With this setting Pollfish indicator is shown with the app to the user when a survey is available. If user sees the indicator up to 4 times without clicking it, Pollfish panel opens and Pollfish survey first screen is shown to the user (same effect when user clicks on indicator). This happens every 4 times that the user sees the indicator and does not click it!

Full Money:

With this setting Pollfish indicator is never shown within the app. When a survey is available Pollfish panel always slides open and takes user to the first screen of the survey. This is the most intrusive option since it does not wait for user to click on something to see a survey and it always open to him/here the first screen. As expected this option has the highest conversion rate.

If you have more questions or concerns, please let me know I will be happy to help.

I am using and recommending pollfish. I guess you have the highest inventory in US than any other country. pls confirm.

Thanks @andreasv, for the explanations.
I think I didn’t see any link to your zendesk documentation on your main site; or maybe it’s not easy to discover.

Two follow-up questions though:

[ul]
[li] When you say every 4 times, does it mean new app starts/sessions only. If I’m using PollFish.hide()/show(), does it affect this count?[/li]

[li] With Full Money, does the indicator show up if the user dismisses the survey without competing it?[/li][/ul]

Yes, it has been mentioned before.

Regarding survey inventory in different geos, we are very strong in US. Then UK, Germany and Russia follows while in other areas inventory mostly fluctuates.

Hello @javaexp thank you for your message. Actually yes, our strongest area in terms of survey inventory is US where we have constant fill with surveys while we are working hard to expand further to new areas all the time.

Hello @androidev thank you for your message too and for the feedback. We will work on the discoverability of our resources on the website. Regarding your follow up questions please see my answers below:

1. When you say every 4 times, does it mean new app starts/sessions only. If I’m using PollFish.hide()/show(), does it affect this count?

times are counted based on how many times you call Pollfish init function and you reached Pollfish servers. Hide or show functions does not affect that number.

1. With Full Money, does the indicator show up if the user dismisses the survey without competing it?

No, with full money survey indicator is never shown.

If you have more questions I will be happy to help :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed that the PollFish demo that simulates a poll in debug mode works even if the Google Play Services library is left out. Google recommends to selectively compile a subset of the full API (ตั้งค่าบริการ Google Play  |  Google Play services  |  Google for Developers) and so I was testing if including just the Mobile Ads API would be enough i.e. including

compile ‘com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:8.1.0’

instead of

compile ‘com.google.android.gms:play-services:8.1.0’

But, it seems the demo doesn’t touch the Play Services library at all and so I am unable to verify if this will be enough to satisfy PollFish’s dependency or not.

Hello @androiddev thank you for your message.

Pollfish makes use of Advertising id which is included in the Google Play Services lib ad section (Advertising ID - Play Console Help) as requested by Google Policies.

Please let me know if that makes sense to you.

Kind Regards

andraes

My question isn’t about the compliance. I know that you have a different SDK for Play and a Universal SDK for other stores and I do trust that the Play Store one makes use of the Advertising ID as required by Google. So, no issues there.

What I’ve noticed is that in demo mode PollFish doesn’t make use of the play services library which I’m totally fine with but I just wanted to test if I could make PollFish work just by including play-services-ads API instead of the whole play-services API to cut down on my final APK size.

This is something that I guess one of your development team members can answer. Could you please check with them and revert back? You can point them to the section Selectively compiling APIs into your executable. Thanks.

Hello @androidev apologies if my previous message was not clear. Pollfish uses only google play-services-ads api because it only uses google play services lib to access advertising identifier.

Having that said, the answer is yes, you can include only the ad part from google play services libs to reduce the size of your apk since this is the only part needed.

p.s. - I am one of the development team members so please feel free to ask any other question :slight_smile: