Facebook integration - the 1 hour guide

I have a new idea for an app and this time I am thinking I should try some Facebook integration (you know “you just reached top 100 players” type of stuff). Yuckk!

Anyway, basically I am no fan of Facebook and don’t like how one has to create a personal profile first - and then create an app from that (it’s mixing up two things - developer world and their user world - it’s like they want the developer to be a “convert” first - i.e. believe that it’s ok for facebook to privacy-strip their users).

I realize there is basically NO way to become a facebook developer without “Create an app” with your facebook account. Ok, I could probably get a facebook id in collaboration with someone who is already on facebook.

Second part - how easy is it to integrate Facebook postings to users’s facebook stream ? Like one day’s effort for someone new to this ?

Is there a “better” way to do this (i.e. avoid Facebook, use twitter/vine etc. - which may do 50% of this in effectiveness) - however facebook is everywhere (esp. among the Candy Crush crowd) and twitter less so. Facebook also has great penetration in third world i.e. basically all the least technical people tend to gravitate towards facebook (with no understanding of it’s privacy implications etc.).

I used Socialize in Anagram Hero.

Drop-In-Simple Social Platform for Your App. Great as a ShareKit Alternative | Socialize | Socialize

So Socialize will allow doing the “post to facebook timeline” with ease ? Just need to setup a Facebook “Create New App” and use with Socialize ?

I looked at Socialize some time back … and was under the impression that it created that slide interface where their panel shows up - but maybe that was just one incarnation of their SDK in a sample app (or maybe it was one of the other SDKs which do same thing as Socialize).

Mind,

Does the process of creating a personal account and then “Create New App” on facebook - then assign a product-specific webpage (like facebook.com/wordhero) ?

I already have a product webpage on facebook - but that does not allow creating of app. Should I then just abandon that and switch to the facebook.com/newproduct page assigned (once I create new app) ?

Thanks.

Did you also use socialize on Word Hero ? Or that was coded directly with facebook SDK ? Having done both (I’m assuming) - you thought Socialize was superior option ?

Unrelated question: On Anagram Hero, I noticed you have location permissions - is this required for Socialize, or is just to improve ad revenue.

If I remember it right, when u will create an app in facebook, the facebook will send an sms to activate that app. So you should type some active phone number to receive the sms…

So one needs a real phone number - does the personal info have to be correct also ? I understand they can ask for identity verification at a later date etc. ?

i didn’t face it, though never heard about Identity verification, can’t say anything.
P.S It shouldn’t take much of your time to pass a registration procedure of the app in facebook. Then u can find out what is the requirements now. I’ve done it a while ago, maybe they’ve changed something. Socialize is a good choice, you will not be wrong by choosing them.

I had looked at Socialize some time back - and Mind mentioned it again - so looking at their website it seems they have improved it a lot (last time I looked they it seems only had that dashboard type thing or whatever ?).

So you would suggest that open facebook account with PERSONAL INFORMATION correct (in case facebook asks to verify it later - and so not get banned) - and then just go ahead with getting Facebook APP ID - then use Socialize for actual implementation.

I assume that even when one sets up a personal profile first, there will be opportunity to create a Redirecting... type of location separate from your personal profile page.

I tried socialize in one of my upcomming apps, its very neat… what you need to do is have a personal FB account and then follow these steps Facebook Integration ? Socialize Android SDK v2.9.7 documentation

I tried socialize in one of my upcomming apps, its very neat… what you need to do is have a personal FB account and then follow these steps Facebook Integration ? Socialize Android SDK v2.9.7 documentation

Indeed, this is the process I followed for on of my apps with a Share button

1)Create a developer account
2)Create an app
3)Get its hashkey (many many answers on google available)
4)download the sdk and import samples in facebook
5)copy paste the code and delete what you dont need

As simple as that :slight_smile:

No I didnt have to pass through all that , they just require a valid package name and hashkey…

dont use openssl to get the hashkey out… save yourself a few days of pain :slight_smile: use the app code instead

Using that link:

from a personal page, it requires a phone number to send an SMS, and then “Tell us about yourself” etc.

So if they didn’t ask it maybe because you already had a phone number registered with them perhaps (or you created app prior to this new requirement).

I created a dev account using my regulatr account so that might be the reason…

Just seeking rough outline of what types of files can be shared via Facebook (if properly implemented):

• images (facebook shows image)
  • youtube videos/url links (facebook expands that into a screenshot)

I understand you can share a video also - since facebook allows video upload.

What is the situation for audio files - last I heard facebook did not have audio file sharing (so have to convert to video first ?) - or first upload to Soundcloud or something and then post link to that ?

Thanks.

No audio , you can post the regular things which you would when you use facebook …

No audio , you can post the regular things which you would when you use facebook …