Startapp - Mix & Match

I received this email :

Hi Fernando,

As promised, we have been working round the clock in order to ensure a smooth and seamless transition into the updated Google policy.
Payment model – Pay Per Download is here to stay
According to your feedback, we understood that keeping this model is a key to your successful monetization. We worked hard and succeeded in finding new solutions which will allow you to continue earning money for every download.

The choice is yours – Mix & Match
We are coming up with cutting edge new products, which you will be able to Mix & Match in order to gain maximum revenue from your apps. This means you are able to choose between, or combine, the unique Pay Per Download method, with the classic revenue share.

When and Where?
We will release our new solutions on September 16th on our Developers Portal –
Click here to login >>

So far, we have paid more than 10,000,000 USD to our developers, who have integrated more than 50,000 apps, and we are just getting started.

We are continuing to count downloads and just about to reach 1B!
As you are a StartApp developer, you take a part in the challenge automatically

• Click here to check your account >>

i got the same. it seems they keep continuing the pay per install and that’s a good news. but they haven’t mentioned about the rates. i wish it will remain the same

Yeah I can’t wait! I was told last week by them that it was going to be released on the 12th, but it looks like it’s going to be the 16th. Cutting it so close!

I’ve also spoken to them about payment times and they said they are hoping to

drive a change there in the future.

Will be interesting to see their revised PPD rates against what AppWiz is offering.

Widit of Homebase hit me up saying they will pay everyday 0.05 cents per active user. Doesn’t this beat everyone’s offer by a long way?

anyone using homebase? They payment terms suck though, Net 45

I wonder how they define “active user” though.
Also, I really doubt users would take to it very well, unless your app does similar stuff to their SDK.

i’m using them, they pay for every active user each day! its the best out of app solution so far

Wow that’s cool! Could by any chance paste the list of permissions the SDK needs here?

I haven’t got email, I’m not cool enough I guess :frowning:

Nice to hear that they have some new ideas for monetizing, especially paid per install.

so many permissions, but its worth trying, i haven’t received any complain about it

<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.INTERNET”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.VIBRATE”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.WAKE_LOCK”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.DISABLE_KEYGUARD”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“com.android.launcher.permission.UNINSTALL_SHORTCUT”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“com.android.launcher.permission.INSTALL_SHORTCUT”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.READ_CONTACTS”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.BLUETOOTH”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.READ_LOGS”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.GET_ACCOUNTS”/>
<uses-permission android:required=“false” android:name=“android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION”/>
<uses-permission android:required=“false” android:name=“android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION”/>
<uses-permission android:required=“false” android:name=“android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE”/>
<uses-permission android:required=“false” android:name=“android.permission.RECEIVE_SMS”/>
<uses-permission android:required=“false” android:name=“android.permission.RECORD_AUDIO”/>
<uses-permission android:required=“false” android:name=“android.permission.READ_SMS”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“com.android.browser.permission.READ_HISTORY_BOOKMARKS” />

Noobie question, but isn’t that the new Google policy prohibits out of app installations and shortcut and all that?

Ah that is just too many for me. I can understand why it would need them, but I doubt most of my users would have the same understanding.

Agree, just think what potential user would think: “Record Audio, read sms, read history bookmarks. Disable keyguard? Man, that sounds pretty serious.” And why would they need icon permissions, if theoretically there can’t be icon ads anymore?

How many user are really looking at the permissions? 1% ? I can tell you that I as a developer when installing other apps not looking at the permissions. Because in most cases you don’t know all kind of features of the app and so you can’t decide which permissions are really need and which are only for ads.
So the permissions are not interesting for me when installing an Ad-SDK on any of my apps. Also not the 0,1% of users who have a hobby detecting unneccessary permissions :smiley:

Yeah, but still - why do they need these kinds of permission (like installing shortcuts)? Personally, I wouldn’t risk losing an app by being banned by google.

Way more than 1% of users look at permissions, especially when they have to manually update an app. Obviously it will vary between niche, but I think 1% is unrealistic in any case.

Reading their faq

about the payments:
“HomeBase pays up to 0.05 cents per download and installation of our SDK. The more downloads your app gets, the more money you make!”

about the compliance
Keep Your Google Play Compliance With Widdit?s Homebase | Widdit | Blog

I really doubt the truth of all this, 0.05 per download world wide? seriously?

If anyone is using their sdk would be so kind to post 1 day report?

Ok, let’s say it’s 10% of users. Would you like to lose 30% more revenue from an additional ad sdk with more permissions, losing 10% of users?

Some of those 10% users will notice the permissions AFTER installing and will leave you a 1 star review that will drop your download count immediately.

Losing at least 10% of users, depending on the niche, while also receiving a flurry of bad reviews and ratings when releasing the update and then even more over the course of the app’s lifetime. The rise in negative reviews would pull download counts down significantly, again depending on your niche.

It might be a worthwhile sacrifice in some app’s cases, but for my apps, I would have to go against it.

It obviously works for you and plenty of other developers so far though!

Is this Homebase widdit complaint to new google policies , as this is a outside app thing.