Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    @developer - you should look at uninstall rates, not CTR/revenue. Uninstall rates might be a clue it is not seen well by users. Also time people spend using your apps - some might close the app seeing the dialog and never open it again.

2. Likes XdebugX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    @Magnesus - Good point. Tomorrow I can see impact on uninstall rates (statistic on GP didn't refresh). Where can I find statistic - like "User spending time in app" ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    You would have to have something like Google Analytics included in your apps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I thought so - right now don't have such analytics integrated.

bgs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I found that the session duration didn't change after adding that popup (just 1 second less than before).
    However, the rating dropped from 4.0 to 3.7 due to an increased number of 1-star reviews.

7. Thanks Magnesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I didnt integrate it in any of my apps. No warning, no ban so far. How do they want to pick those people out who donīt have the message?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgs View Post
    I found that the session duration didn't change after adding that popup (just 1 second less than before).
    However, the rating dropped from 4.0 to 3.7 due to an increased number of 1-star reviews.
    I hope you're not showing the popup at every session; your talk about session lengths is making me think so. Once the terms have been accepted (typically at the first startup ever) you don't have to show it ever again!
    Hi, I'm new around here.. Here's some more about me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the aftermath

Hi, rather late I wanted to add my 2 cents...

I switched off lots of apps not worth the effort updating because of the Cookie consent requirement. For my most important apps which earn money through Admob I have added the dialog (at first start) though some are still awaiting approval on iTunes.

The dialog is of course rather bad for our business. I saw an immediate drop in user retention of up to 20% in some of my apps. As a matter of fact: What happens here is that Google goes way beyond what the EU directive says (I read it). The whole matter is similiar to the publicity war they are waging with regards to the search links on the Google web search which say might have been removed due to an EU law or the funny wording they have presented on Youtube against the Gema in Germany. All this is nonsense from a legal point of view but this is how Google tries to influence public opinion against a regulator they are at odds with.

Unfortunately for us developers in the EU this means that our business is henceforth at a major disadvantage compared to the US or other overseas markets. That US developers have not received the reminder email is a joke because if all this was really because of the EU policy directive it would require ALL businesses serving EU customers to implement it. As mentioned in this thread before. But Google obviously thinks: if the EU comission harms our business we will screw your European developers and let them feel the pain.

Regarding the consequences: Well, a couple of years ago Google won over developers from Apple with a Play store that made it easy to publish whatever app you wanted. Since 2 or 3 years we know that this "lunch for all" is not the whole truth. Google throws out thousands of apps every day because of "policy violations". My assumption is that they have no interest at all in working with Indie publishers anymore. They make life for them just harder and increase the risk of law suits against Google itself. So they focus on the big publishers and try to remove any obstacles they might face (i.e. competition). This new Cookies consent is just another policy tool to kick those out that do not fit into this new world. And don't forget: it just requires another app developer to complain about one of YOUR apps of not complying and you are going to suffer... for sure.

By the way: the cookiechoices.org website Google setup to teach us on how to implement their ideas is kind of a joke. Not only is the code not working (missing paranthesis in BOTH code examples). It also is not a Google website at all. So as usual that's how they wash their hands of it. Smart.

Sven
    Last edited by svenske07; 2015-10-16 at 04:24 PM.

11. Likes Magnesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by svenske07 View Post

Regarding the consequences: Well, a couple of years ago Google won over developers from Apple with a Play store that made it easy to publish whatever app you wanted. Since 2 or 3 years we know that this "lunch for all" is not the whole truth. Google throws out thousands of apps every day because of "policy violations". My assumption is that they have no interest at all in working with Indie publishers anymore. They make life for them just harder and increase the risk of law suits against Google itself. So they focus on the big publishers and try to remove any obstacles they might face (i.e. competition). This new Cookies consent is just another policy tool to kick those out that do not fit into this new world.

Sven
    I agree 100%. They built their store on the backs of indie developers and now the store no longer needs indie developers, Google is making the process cost-prohibited. It's just not worth the hassle to CONSTANTLY update apps for new policy changes.

I have zero intention in spending my weekends updating my FREE apps (with thousands of users) to meet GP new policy. They can take my apps down and I wont lose any sleep. Then in 5 yrs Google Play will resemble every high street in the USA that all look identical with a Starbucks, Target, Safeways, PetCo and Borders Books.

All the big players will be dictating the store.

13. Likes Magnesus liked this post
    Thanks svenske07 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackoD View Post
    I agree 100%. They built their store on the backs of indie developers and now the store no longer needs indie developers, Google is making the process cost-prohibited. It's just not worth the hassle to CONSTANTLY update apps for new policy changes.

I have zero intention in spending my weekends updating my FREE apps (with thousands of users) to meet GP new policy. They can take my apps down and I wont lose any sleep. Then in 5 yrs Google Play will resemble every high street in the USA that all look identical with a Starbucks, Target, Safeways, PetCo and Borders Books.

All the big players will be dictating the store.
    I'd like to remind that this is, at most, an AdMob policy and doesn't involve Google Play at all.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast