The app has been removed from Google Play

Hello, guys. It is the first time for me to get such kind of notification from Google Play. Today I noticed that they removed my app from Google Play (but can be resubmitted). Reason for removal: collecting app install data from users’ devices without their knowledge and informed consent. Screens: Screenshot by Lightshot and Screenshot by Lightshot Problem is that, I don’t have any idea where this “collection users’ app install data” issue comes from. Does anyone of you already received such notification? How did you resolved it? Looking forward to your replies.

What ad networks are you using? For some ad networks, like Pollfish for example, you need to update your policy so the users are aware of such behavior.

I use MobileCore and AppBrain

I have no idea about AppBrain… The situation is weird, maybe someone else had the same experience and can help you.

Its because of the third party ad networks. They collect the user id, conversion rates and so on. It is better to remove them and submit it by different budle Id. I am sorry that you lost your user base. But I developed a plugin to not lose those active user anymore and will update to codecanyon soon. Keep in touch.

WOW i really hope its not MobileCore or i will have to do something! Can somebody confirm if somebody else using just mobilecore or mobilecore with another network besides AppBrain had your app removed? Interesting that Google now seems to only remove the app giving you the option to resubmit it without blindly suspending it!

WOW i really hope its not MobileCore or i will have to do something! Can somebody confirm if somebody else using just mobilecore or mobilecore with another network besides AppBrain had your app removed? Interesting that Google now seems to only remove the app giving you the option to correct the app and resubmit it without blindly suspending it!

Were you using the standard MobileCore SDK or their new DiscoverMC? (available only for existing users at the moment)

Are you using latest sdk, or haven’t been update for years?

Did you update the app before the Google Play “submission approval”? If not, it would be strange that they removed the app after they review it.

Thank you for paying attention to my problem. I did some investigation and came to conclusion that the reason of removal are MobileCore and AppBrain which I use. I decompiled jar library files of both ad networks and saw that they really have access to the installed user’s apps.

In MobileCore the do:
PackageManager localPackageManager = getPackageManager();
localPackageManager.getInstalledApplications(128);

In AppBrain:
PackageManager localPackageManager = getPackageManager();
localPackageManager.getInstalledPackages(0)

Then I read their privacy policies.

I use these networks quite long time and just received such notification. Moreover, I found only one developer in internet which received the same removal notification, thus this is not so popular issue among lots of users which already use MobileCore or AppBrain. Why this issue happened now? It is weird.

Google’s policy is pretty much: ‘apps should not be raping user data without a privacy policy saying they do that’.

The real problem is the ad networks who don’t have part of their SDK instructions saying:

• You need to include the following language (or similar) in your Privacy Policy: “This app will rape your device of all possible data so we can build a user profile and serve better ads… and we might sell your data too!”

Isn’t that common policy across all Ads Network?

Most probably it is common policy. Question is: why Google Play didn’t do such kind of notifications before?

Actually, they celebrate “Surprise the Developer” day at Google these days! :smiley:

Did Google remove your App while you were publishing an update?
Do you have a Privacy Policy in your Google Play listing?

My last update was few weeks ago. Thus, they removed not during the update. Currently I don’t have any privacy policy in the app and plan to do it. Smth like this https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/4450969?&ref_topic=3453577

Do you guys think I need to add a real policy to my app if I use AdMob and Google Analytics? Could you recommend some template text or something or is it unnecessary?

Ha ha …it’s true they do celebrate it every week or for every 3 days…

Holy crap, i already contacted MobileCore to see what they have to say on the matter, probably they will say that we have to show an Eula of some kind as the link provided.

But question remains if we only use Admob and Google Analytics do we need to add an Eula?