New Ad Formats

Ok, so as well know Google update their policy: Google Play

This put a huge group of ad formats into the grave, potentially ruining major companies like AirPush, StartApp and so on.

StartApp, AppWiz, TapContext, SendDroid, mobileCore, AirPush, AppBucks and probably others have confirmed they are staying around. If you know of any others that have officially confirmed please post it.

So the question is, what ad units are we going to see cropping up in the next month or two?
Will it just be more of the same i.e: Banner, Video, Interstitial, OfferWall and types like that? I believe we will see some interesting innovation from these companies.

The only network that claims their SDK will still comply is PingJam. If anyone here has used them please give your experience. I did try them months ago, but never really integrated them properly as units like Icons and Push were better options for me.

Does anyone have any ideas of what ad formats we are going to see then? Or does everyone believe it will just be more of the same?

If the ad networks do come out with some new innovative formats it will be especially interesting knowing they haven’t copied each other etc.

there’s mobilecore slider and appnext more games, i will try them soon

Got this from Leadbolt via e-mail (I only use the Leadbolt HTML AppWall - so I don’t even use the Leadbolt SDK (yet) - so in this case there would be no change for me):

As you are probably aware, last week Google updated its Google Play Developer Program Policies. If you are developing apps with advertising and distributing them through Google Play this change will affect you.

What you need to know:
For existing apps on Google Play, the new policies will be enforced on 23rd September 2013.
For new apps submitted to Google Play, these new policies will apply immediately.

How does this affect you:

Among a number of changes, Google has specifically disallowed advertisements through system level notifications. Apps that create home screen shortcuts, browser bookmarks, or home screen icons on the user’s device are also disallowed.

If you are using LeadBolt’s notification or icon ads you will need to update your app before the relevant date.

We are presently hard at work updating our platform and SDK to provide you a new SDK version that fully complies with these new Google Play Developer Program Policies and we will announce these changes shortly. Full details of Google’s new policy can be found here: Google Play

Should you need to update your app or launch new apps immediately, you can use our build your own SDK feature to build an SDK with display Ads only. Please ensure you update your android manifest and follow the current documentation including those items relevant to display ads only.

LeadBolt has always been committed to enhancing Consumer Experience through all our advertising solutions, and as such, view these changes as a positive step by Google as the industry evolves.

What is the good news:

The good news is that LeadBolt offers more advertising units than any other network and enables developers to engage consumers throughout the App-Usage-Cycle. Our advertising suite includes these amazing ad types:
In-App Alerts
App Walls
Interstitials
Advanced Overlays
Video Ads
Audio Ads
Banner Ads
You can view our comprehensive gallery of ad formats on our website:
Airpush - Mobile Ad Network | Mobile RTB | Android App Monetization

The LeadBolt commitment:

LeadBolt continues to innovate in areas that increase return for developers and advertisers while putting customer experience at the forefront. It has been this methodology that has seen us grow so rapidly over the last 24 months and deliver incredible results for our network partners. By providing you cutting edge technology, monetization options across the entire App-Usage-Cycle and amazing advertisers, we will ensure your continued success.

If you have questions:

We will be communicating with you regularly over the next short while and will update you shortly as the new SDK becomes available.

In the meantime, feel free to reach out to your LeadBolt account manager to ensure that you are taking advantage of the great monetization opportunities available to you.

Regards,
The LeadBolt Team
Airpush - Mobile Ad Network | Mobile RTB | Android App Monetization

They will copy each other because there is a limited pool of ideas but its not bad in my opinion because with more concurrency comes better conditions like payment terms, eCPMs etc.

When we are talking about in-app advertisement there is no more space for innovations. Sure you can make some variations like pop-up banners or slide full-screen ads and so on but its not very innovative its more evolution.
When we are talking about out-app ads there is a two ways that I can see. The first one is PingJam model and I think that soon or later they will be flagged as virus by antivirus firms (not my wish just my opinion). There is other way, icon ads! Yes, icon ads! Firm Mobario developed a widget (in my opinion we will see more and more of these in different forms and functionality) that sum up all useful apps on one place (Gmail, Twitter etc.) but also add search icon with them and widget is on top of all screens all the time so its very nice solution for wallpapers. Also they can offer PPI model (like Startapp) + share based on search, installs etc.

Long story short, widgets will be the next big thing in years that come.

Personally I found mobario widget irritaing (at least month ago) and I think that they are missing EULA (or they needn’t it?).
In my opinion it is intrusive ad and it will be next thing to ban together with pingjam.

I do not know do they need EULA or not, its very hard to tell because they are a widget. On other hand I agree with you that they will be banned soon or later or at least flagged as virus. Just gave my two cents about further development of android ad ecosystem. In my opinion there will be more and more widgets like this.

Personally, I think the future is more and more in app discovery. Ad units are just a vehicle, a vehicle to offer the user something he may want to try.

We use interstitials as we see they are the most effective in convincing the user to try the games we offer and we made them interactive and with a clear description so there will be minimal false clicks.
When we’re able to get high % of the users to install and try a new game + high cpis due to high intention of the user to play => we eventually generate the max earning per user (ecpm) at the minimum “frustration” rate (of the user)

It’s an ecosystem driven by app discovery, if each app can have each of its users to try 1 more app - that worth $1000 per 1000 installs. (not being unrealistic, just making the point)

we have few interesting units in our pipeline, some are quite surprising so stay tuned :wink:

Well they might copy each other in the long run, but right now they cannot. We should see some varied results initially.
You are right about the more concurrency producing a better ad market. More competition means a better experience for us developers.

Icon ads were banned in the policy update too, so I would disagree with you there. Widgets would count as modifying the user’s home screen too, so they won’t be around either.

Got this mail from Airpush. Looks like they are going to come up with a new unit :slight_smile:

As they do on a regular basis, Google has recently revised certain details of their Play Store Developer Guidelines. Please review the details below and contact support with any questions you may have by clicking the button below.

PUSH AND ICON ADS
Some of these changes may have implications on your monetization strategy through Push and Icon Ads. We are actively evaluating these revisions and will be keeping you informed as to exactly what you will need to do in order to ensure your compliance. No matter the outcome of these new changes, Airpush will continue to offer the best and highest performing monetization solutions to our developers, the only FREE weekly payment program in mobile, and other complimentary services to ensure our developers’ continued success.
CLICK HERE TO CONTACT SUPPORT >>>

SMARTWALL AND BANNER ADS
SmartWall and Banner Ads are not affected by the Play Store Developer Guidelines and will require no action on your part. SmartWall is the highest performing mobile interstitial ad unit and our banners are among the most competitive in the industry. These ad units consistently drive higher developer earnings than any other network and should be an integral part of any monetization strategy.
CLICK HERE TO LOG INTO YOUR ACCOUNT >>>

BETA PROGRAM - A REVOLUTIONARY NEW AD UNIT
At Airpush we pride ourselves on consistently leading the industry in developing the most innovative ways to drive revenue from Android apps. We are extremely excited to be releasing a brand new ad unit in the coming weeks and we are actively recruiting developers to be part of our beta test community. This new unit is performing higher than anything we have ever released. If you would like to be included in the beta test, click the link or large button below.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR OUR BETA PROGRAM >>>

I highly doubt pingjam is actually within the new policy. Their SDK clearly violates the policy as in it installs a new functionality in the call screen. The call screen is not a part of the app or game, which clearly means its being installed out of the app.

Lets wait for a week to see new SDKs coming. I hope they come sooner than later have to work on a lot of apps before the deadline.

Also, not many people voiced this issue of stupid AV apps flagging airpush and similar SDKs, I hope these guys would STFU now and let the SDKs pass through.

I would be pissed off if these retards at avast and other AVs continue to flag airpush since they didn’t update their algorithm.

From StartApp

In light of Google’s latest update to their ad policy, we will be releasing a new version of our Search SDK, along with other new ad units. We believe these new products will keep our unique and substantial pay per download model, while adapting to the in-app advertising model.

What do I need to do now?

TAKE A LOOK AT OUR 3D ADS THAT BRING BEST VALUE FOR OUR DEVELOPERS

The new Google policy will take affect for existing apps on the Google Play store beginning September 23rd. Until then, to continue earning revenue, we recommend you keep our SDK in place.
This would be the perfect time to integrate our In-App SDK which has proven to provide our developers with extremely high eCPM while keeping an optimal user experience. Our In-App SDK includes both interstitial and ExitAds (via both the back button and the home button).
|
CLICK HERE TO LOGIN AND TRY OUR IN-APP SDK >>>
|
And then what?
By that time, our team will be ready to unveil our cutting edge new ad types, which will encourage a high rate of user engagement, resulting in substantial revenue for you.
|

Glad to see you’re back with more +ve thinking & also glad to know you’re starting to use TapContext. BTW,appbucks has also confirmed they are staying around.

The policy clearly states NO ICONS or PUSH Period. So the questions really isn’t about "what’s the newest, latest and greatest gimmick, I think it will inevitably be about eCPM and Fill rate. We as developers need to build games/apps that create “times spent” engaging the app so that we can better run InAPP ads. These ads are going to be nothing new or special, it will all come down to Conversion, CTR, eCPM and Fill Rate. Back to basics…

This will push the ecosystem to build richer, more engaging Ad formats. When you look at Ads, there are 2 things that make an Ad interesting: Its location (Super Bowl for example) & content (Old Spice Ads). Push & Icon inherently had great location where it got a large number of eyeballs, thus more conversions (and of course being out-of-app was an advantage too). Now with the new Google policy, the formats need to be richer, more user engaging Ads. At Vserv for example we have very creative & engaging interstitials, one of our Ad campaigns was practically a game and it gave great returns to both our developers and the brand.

@ravivayas vserv! what’s up man! Hey PM Me We need to chat! Need to know about Asian and SE Asian traffic. How do you guys do there?