Admob vs Mopub

I’ve read that fill rate of Admob interstitials can be as low as 20% if Admob is called through Mopub mediation.
(AdMob serves AdSense backfill only for native SDK implementations, not for server-to-server).
So, to get the best out of Admob one should call it through native java code, right?

Is it possible to get a higher revenue by getting Mopub+Admob than by simply using Admob?

Hi steven–

Even though network fill rates do vary, there are some additional factors you should keep in mind when evaluating whether the numbers you are seeing for your applications make sense, and whether there’s anything that you can do about it.

If you are seeing an unusually low fill rate, or if the fill rate for one of your applications is noticeably lower than another one, you should evaluate the difference in how you’re showing ads in the two applications.

For example, ads shown in in-between screens can have a lower fill rate as users might click away from that screen before the ad is fully loaded. This is especially the case if your highest paying networks are ones that we are integrated with on a native SDK level (such as Millennial Media or AdMob, for example). For these natively integrated networks our server tells their native SDKs to fire and this takes more time due to network latency (one hop to MoPub to get the decision, one hop to the network to get the actual ad). For other networks where we get the ads via server to server communication the latency is much lower (a single hop to MoPub).

This means that you may see a decreased fill rate in some instances where users spend a very limited time on the page where the ads are shown and do not give the ads a chance to fully load. This is because MoPub counts the request immediately when our server gets pinged, but only counts the impression once an ad is finally loaded. If users navigate away from the page too quickly, the ad impression doesn’t get fired and it appears (rightly so) that the fill of that ad unit is low.

A choice that you have to increase fill rate is to disable the user’s ability to navigate away from the page for 3-5 seconds until the ad is rendered, though of course this is up to you as this will impact the user experience. If your user experience is most important here, you can make sure that the networks first checked to fill for this ad space are ones we are integrated with server to server.

From: https://twittercommunity.com/t/fill-rate-evaluation/22350

where did you read that? that sounds retarted all around, there is no benefit for anyone this way

I am trying to understand what those guys are talking about and I can’t make any sense of it.

You are integrating native admob SDK when you put MoPub mediation into your app. Mopub mediation is an extra layer that calls on native admob sdk for ad requests. I don’t think there is any server-to-server going on.

Higher fill rate doesn’t mean more impressions.

You can have 100k requests with 50k impressions at 50% fill rate in Mopub. (which is pretty typical for me)
And 50k requests and 48k impressions in AdMob at 98% fill rate in Admob. (which is what i am seeing all the time)

Sure, it means your fill rate is 98% with admob, but It doesn’t mean you are making more money.

I think those guys from scirra forum have some mopub/admob plugin for their scirra software/game maker that has server-to-server messed up.

That is correct, as a Construct 2 user we currently have two plugins, Admob Ads and CocoonJS. CocoonJS will wrap your app into an apk, but the only ad network they allow you to add on is MoPub.

In order to utilize admob or any other network we must inject the code into our app/game manually then use another service to wrap our .apk for the Google Play Store.

So the debate is whether or not admob on it’s own is worth the hassle. According to recent results it appears that is is, Mopub is constantly having issues.

Sorry to bump an old post but this forum thread popped up on the front page of google search for “Admob vs Mopub” and I have some insight.