Encouraging new developers

I started almost 3 months ago as a newbie to android development with 6+ years of Java/Java EE experience and want to share my experience with android development. Probably the beginners would get some inspiration from me and my karma will also improve by helping others… I may not be able to share these points 1 year later as I won’t be considering myself as started just now.

I was never considering myself as ever publishing android apps and earning from it. But since almost everyone carries a droid here in India. I thought about what is the driving force behind this app thing. Even I didn’t own a droid 3-4 months back. I was using Nokia Symbion phone.

My first app was just kind of experimentation with my hobby. I had this excitement to collect quotes from school days. So my first app was for reading quotes. The first version was very basic with a TextView and Next/Previous buttons. UI was the ugliest.
Note: In order to give myself a push, I paid for the developer account first ($25) and then started the development (at least to remind myself to earn those $25 back ;))

How I learnt
I think the best learning for beginners is the apps which are already there in the play store. If you want to create an app for some niche, just search for the same in play store and you will get so many ideas about the features/UI/colors/buttons which can be added to your app.

So I just browsed play store and was getting 3-4 new ideas of user interaction. As I kept on adding those features as well extra features by what I considered best, I improved my apps experience a lot. Users feedback also played an important role.

Where am I now:
Currently I have some 50 apps on play store and earning $6-$7 daily.

I have also started sharing text and video tutorials on android development on my website and my youtube channel (see my signature)

Any questions? Do ask here.

Other fellow android developers, pls. share your detailed stories about how/when you started in terms of revenue.

i started two and a half months ago, i dont have much programming skills because i just finished first year at Uni, so far i made around 500$ and these days i get 25-30$ daily with 18 apps until now
first app was Camera Gunshot it give me now 150 daily downloads, my latest app called 4 pics 1 footballer, i released it two weeks ago and it gets now 700 daily downloads, other apps are ebooks
my advice to new android developers is to make many apps, and make apps that users want not only what you like

not sure your post is in the right section. But i do like your video tutorials, funny enough i found your channel before you posted this here. Quality stuff man good job. I am definitely going to be watching the “Check if android app is run for the first time” today as i wanted to do something like this a while back.

Hello javaexp,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and providing information and indeed yourself to help others jump into the same boat.

We all know that the Mobile space is growing and will continue to grow with plenty of opportunities for anyone who is interested.

I speak with people on an almost daily basis who want to get into development but don’t have enough information and I think they could benefit from you and your knowledge. I’ll be sure to forward anyone I come across to your channel.

Thank you once again and really appreciate the sharing.

dude are you sure you have 50 apps and earning $6-7 daily? is it the daily income per app?

50 apps in just 3 months?
I started 2 years ago and until now only have 3 apps (2 games and 1 app).

No, $6 is from all apps. Most my apps are for Indian users where the CPM is usually below $0.10

Yes and I target to have at least 10000 active downloads for each app in next 6 months. Some apps already have more than 10000 apps. Haven’t developed any block buster apps till now.
Are you relying on these 3 apps for your living?

Seriously $6 or $7 daily??? u need a marketing plan bro! what kind of apps do u have on market?

yup. that is with 0 marketing. I am relying on searches as of now. Mix of celebrities,religion related apps.

and yes I am using only admob/airpush banners as of now. I know I can earn more by using push/icon ads but avoiding it for user satisfaction.

No, I create apps as hobby in my leisure time.

@javaexp, I like your site. But 7$ a day is very low with 50 apps. I start 10 months ago, have 10 apps. One of mine best app earn 2$ from your country a day with Admob.

Right in India cpm is very low and most of my users are from India. For me money is the priority at this point but user satisfaction is. Also probably I will add some apps targeted to US and Europe to get good revenue.

I do not think this is an encouragement 50 apps and just $7, really ? :confused:

I have high quality a game (3D one), it brings +$20 alone from just banners daily. I wont even mention abt my other games. My main income (%90) come from banners only.

eCPM is about 3.5$ (my best app in India). eCPM depend on your app, not country.

My purpose here is not show revenue but show that is easy to get started. This income I am getting is without any promotion and none of them is game. By following the right strategy, one can always earn from the apps/games (I mean choosing networks and ad types). Again pls. don’t take it in revenue terms. Once your apps rank on top on the play store for target keywords and you get 100000 active users from single app, its just a matter of few days to earn from it.

The major roadblock for beginners is to get some motivation to learn and develop android apps as it was for me (given I am working full time for an MNC).