Huawei Ascend P6 - Ad blocking feature?

“The Permissions Manager allows users to specify which applications can access mobile data …”

source: Huawei Ascend P6 Hands On

Does this mean that the user can decide to disable mobile data for an app and thus effectively block any ads?

This seems like bad news if this feature is to catch on…

Edit: Maybe I am just not up to date on this, but it seems like android 4.3 has a similar feature:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/25/app-ops-android-4-3s-hidden-app-permission-manager-control-permissions-for-individual-apps/
However, it seems like this feature does not allow for the blocking of mobile data(?).

Very interesting topic !

This seems similar to Google banning apps which were blocking ads (Adblocker) - if I remember correctly (correct me if this is incorrect).

Now let’s see what developers could do - they could choose to see if internet is working - even download a test file to see if it works etc. (so is not being spoofed or whatever).

And only let the app proceed if ads can be shown.

Let’s see how Google deals with THIS bit of limitation !!??

Their Google TOS requires that developers NOT block the progress of an app - for ads etc.

But what about apps which don’t run if internet access is not available ? Is that going to be allowed ? How is this different from Google protecting their turf by banning Ad Blocking apps ?

Also when developers block a specific device from distribution (when they publish the APK) - is that not limiting the user ? Or is the difference that user doesn’t even know such an app exists ?

So the limitation is that the app should not be downloaded under false pretenses and then not work etc. ?

What if the app is “constructed” to “use” internet data - and says “we cannot work without an internet connection” - maybe downloads a graphic or two.

That would EASILY get past the “only needed internet for ad serving” issue.

I always thought about putting house ads (maybe even bigger than normal ads, so people wouldn’t prefer them) on when the internet connection is off but never really found time to do it. Maybe it’s at least some solution? Also building the app so it requires internet for other things (leaderboards and such - Google Games or how is it called could be good for that) might be even better.

Do you think it is much of an issue ?

Any estimate on what percentage of users are turning off data connection to avoid ads in apps ?

One solution is to just show a local ad - it would be good if ad networks built in a “default banner” that the developer could supply.

That would solve this issue of no banner ads when no internet etc.

Right now - I don’t think so. We’ll see how it’ll be in the future. And people who go to such lenghts to avoid ads won’t click anyway, so it only raises our CTR.