Updating SDK; how often in normal?

I’m with an advertising company that now for the second time in plm 4 months changed their SDK. They want everybody to update. I noticed something peculiar too, namely that my revenue dropped from the moment the SDK in my apps was obsolete. I informed, and indeed the answer was that the newest SDK gets the most traffic send. But what is normal? I find it pretty strange if I have to update every three months, and update all my apps in the store, only for this purpose. What are the opinions?

And what is / was your eCPM? What ad network is it? I guess its some small ad network? Maybe its worth to change to other ad network provider, most of them don’t force you to update SDK by cutting your revenue…
What apps do you have? Tell the apps categories if you can’t provide the links.

As I 'm not well informed about the other ways advertisers deal with this, I will for now not name them. But I like their concept of making revenue. I have about 200 downloads a day each for two apps, and 50 downloads a day for another app. That’s quite modest I think, and the reason for now I just keep it with this company, as moving to another would not result in netto effect. So I make about 15,- euro’s a month with them. I hope my download rate will improve, and that’s why I keep the whole thing going. But it is hardly worth the work they require you to do.

@hinzaldi - seriously? Are these live wallpapers or widgets? ~450 downloads a day is ~13500 downloads a month, its less than $0,0015 per user. It is quite common to get $0,01 per user, I think you could earn 5x more with a decent ad network. But not knowing what apps you have, what is eCPM and CTR for banners / interstitials, where is your audience from - I can’t say anything for sure…

Thanks for the benchmark information! The reason I’m with this network is that it doesn’t clutter my app with agressive popups. I want to save some aesthetic value and user value by not bothering the users with a lot of advertising. The downside is less revenue as I realise all to well. How often do other advertisers update their SDK’s? And is there some ‘squeezing’ going on in fill rate, if you do not use the latest SDK, I wonder.

Hi hinzaldi,

I hope you don’t mind that I share how we approach this in our company :slight_smile:

We update our SDK roughly once a month, but 99% of the time our publishers don’t have to update anything from their end, we only recommend it.

We share your appreciation of user experience, that’s why we do our best to have the cleanest, nicest-looking ads.

If you want more information, feel free to visit our website or send me an email: [email protected]

Hi hinzaldi,

With Unlockable, there is very little updating to do with our integration. The reason for that is there is no SDK you install from us on your app. We perform a server to server integration so integration can be quite simple.

Most of the updates can be done through our side with no lifting required for you.

I can’t think of any updates we would need you to do that would have an adverse affect on your eCPM.

Hey @hinzaldi - I can only talk for Avocarrot but we usually push a new Android SDK release every 2-4 weeks. These are almost always optional upgrades and we try hard not to break backward compatibility (we recently introduced an internal API versioning for additional protection as well).

Having said that, we highly recommend our publishers to include in their regular app release cycle the newest available SDK (usually a drag-and-drop upgrade).

The latest SDK version often includes a collection of minor performance tweaks and bug fixes but most importantly it will always take advantage of the latest backend features that could have been introduced on the server-side. The latter could be a potential explanation why older SDK versions could be eventually experiencing revenue degradation.

Hi Hinzaldi,

At Airpush, we do release several updates to our SDK throughout the year, but only after major enhancements, such as new ad units, enhancements to ad serving / targeting, or compliance updates.

Our latest SDKs include our newest HD video ads, enhancements to user targeting / tracking, and also are not being flagged by 99% of the anti virus / ad ware apps on the market.

You can check them out here:

Bundle 1 SDK: http://manage.airpush.com/sdk/B1_Beta_SDK.zip
Bundle 2 SDK: http://manage.airpush.com/sdk/B2_Beta_SDK.zip
Standard SDK: http://manage.airpush.com/sdk/Standard_Beta_SDK.zip
Universal SDK: http://manage.airpush.com/sdk/Universal_Beta_SDK.zip

Bundle 1: Bundle SDK 1.0 Beta - manage.airpush.com/docs
Standard: Standard SDK 1.0 Beta - manage.airpush.com/docs
Bundle 2: Bundle 2 SDK Documentation Beta - manage.airpush.com/docs
Universal: Universal SDK 1.0 Beta - manage.airpush.com/docs

PM me to chat more.
Cheers,

Airpush Nick