Is AdMob dead?

Seriously, what the hell is going on with AdMob. Every time I think it can’t get any worse the revenue drops even more…and with the recent news of sponsored ads in the Play Store, I’m pretty much ready to drop apps altogether and switch to another online income source. I simply do not have the time to switch all of my apps to a different ad network, the money isn’t worth it. It’s getting too hard for me as an indie developer to compete. Anyone else feeling similar?

yes it is dead

“I simply do not have the time to switch all of my apps to a different ad network, the money isn’t worth it”

maybe you can switch your apps to another ad network step by step,however,good luck

Yeah, right. Wait a few days and you’ll see “admob is a scam?” topic.
If the money isnt worth it, then it means:
A) Admob is not that bad after all if you think its too much bother to change to other ad network to get just a few cents more
B) Your apps don’t have any download volume, and its best to leave them and create new, better apps. Or focus on getting more downloads, and then think again if its worth the effort to switch to other ad network or not.

Good luck.

QUOTE=allagainstyou;114856]Yeah, right. Wait a few days and you’ll see “admob is a scam?” topic.
If the money isnt worth it, then it means:
A) Admob is not that bad after all if you think its too much bother to change to other ad network to get just a few cents more
B) Your apps don’t have any download volume, and its best to leave them and create new, better apps. Or focus on getting more downloads, and then think again if its worth the effort to switch to other ad network or not.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with the negativity. If you have been on Admob for any length of time. 2+ yrs, there is no denying that the last few months have seen a very definite turn for the worst. Ive been with Abmob for over 3 years and though my downloads are up 25%, my revenue is down 30%. Same apps but with more downloads should not equate to a 30% drop in revenue.

Admob is pushing the envelope as to what devs will put up with. Problem is, they are the only game in town that offers reliability and the backing of a big company. Google.

OP is correct.

Capture.PNG[

I disagree with the negativity. If you have been on Admob for any length of time. 2+ yrs, there is no denying that the last few months have seen a very definite turn for the worst. Ive been with Abmob for over 3 years and though my downloads are up 25%, my revenue is down 30%. Same apps but with more downloads should not equate to a 30% drop in revenue.

Admob is pushing the envelope as to what devs will put up with. Problem is, they are the only game in town that offers reliability and the backing of a big company. Google.

OP is correct.

Capture.PNG[[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, you pretty much said exactly what I was going to say to allagainstyou. Your situation is very similar to mine and why I created this thread.

I’m not saying AdMob is a scam. That being said there is no denying that income has been awful lately for many on this forum. In fact, in the Income Reports section there’s a thread titled AdMob February revenue awful or something like that. And you’re right, Google is definitely pushing the envelope for what I’d consider acceptable and I’m pretty much ready to focus my efforts of making money online to a different area ( not apps ) altogether.

Google is notorious for ruining the online income of self employed entrepreneurs. I’m afraid we’re fast becoming another line item in a long list of people and companies that have been negatively affected by Google’s changes.

Ehh… @phil917, @JackoD

• All the ad networks perform bad at the moment
  • There is many big and reliable ad networks
  • How can you say that Google ruins online income? Google is the one who developed Android, so they gave us the possibility to earn money

For me it seems you just came here to whine that you failed to make money with your apps. You don’t provide any real data, like eCPM from few months ago, current eCPM, impressions count, CTR, daily downloads volume etc. If you think you’ll do better without Android, go ahead and good luck. I think Android is still the best place to make money, although it seems it was much easier few years ago. Too bad I was not there in time.

all the money from interstitials went to video, and admob doesn’t have video.

also, the interstitials now have a certain clickable area (usually the “install” button), instead of the whole interstitial being clickable like in the past.

small publishers will not sustain this loss and end up not improving or growing their apps, therefore dying slowly in result. big publishers will switch to video ads because they can afford to and continue improving their apps.

Anyone playing trivia crack? All i see is video ads every 30 seconds… not interstitials there at all.

I personally, have switched over to native ads, and I think thats good revenue source, it’s not annoying like popups, and it makes 3x the revenue of banners, it also makes 5x the amount of impressions. I would also say its less annoying than those sticky banners.

So, the correct words to use should be “non-native ads are dead”

I received a mail from Google Admob a few days ago. Here is a section of it:

“Try TrueView video ad interstitials
Our TrueView ad format offers a rich, user-friendly experience for monetization within your app. Take advantage of growing video demand with this innovative format, which offers users the opportunity to skip an ad after 5 seconds. Make sure your ad units are opted into video to receive these ads.”

So it seems these video ads are definitely in Admob’s sights.

I received email from Admob too. New ads type are coming soon. Admob is planning for new native ads and in-app ads (show ads and in-app purchase) at the same banner space.

Same amount of impressions, maybe slightly more. The only thing thing that changed was the ecpm. Went from $1.50 - $2.00 last year this exact time to $.50 - $.70…

Android is still a decent place to make money, I make around $1500 a month even with this income decline, but compared to prior years, it definitely seems like it’s dying.

Also, to the person that said the money has all gone to videos, I thought AdMob displayed video ads now…

I don’t know guys, i never see video ads in my own apps when admob pops up

I think it may be device specific. I never see video ads on my android apps but on my iOS apps they appear 50% of the time - their actually pretty nice on an iPhone.

thats probably the reason, agreed.

Honestly guys, I have seen a nice increase in revenue from Admob in 2015. Compared to Jan of 2014 more than 3 times higher.
Compared to December 2014 (Christmas!) I am only at like 20% down - and to think Jan and Feb are the worst months of the year!

I think that the reason that I do not experience the drastic decline of revenue that you are experiencing is the fact that I have been on an update spree for more than 2 months now - I have updated around 20 of my apps already and more are to be updated soon. If only I could do some ASO and promotion I think I would be even higher.

Plus, another surprising factor is that I added mC interstitials on the updated apps, which means I should see some drop in Admob interstitial (less impressions) but it simply hasn’t happened. Got my first mC payment few days ago, too.

I wish you manage to experience a recovery in revenue from Admob - the more money paid to indie developers, the better.

I have also had a sharp decrease in my AdMob revenues, but I could not tell if it was due to poor admob performance, or the fact that I had to unpublish a bunch of apps that got flagged by Google for being not in compliance (I was also using MobFox as a fallback network). Now that I have most apps republished though, the revenue decline seems to be on Googles end. Especially since my downloads are higher than ever right now.

I have also noticed declining revenues from all ad networks though. I suspect the lagging global economy may be suspect here, as well as the higher relative value of the US Dollar driving advertisers away from Google’s prices. I am not sure of the reason though tbh, I just know it sucks.

The exception though has been revenues from Windows Phone. My MS pubCenter earnings have been going up, while my Google AdMob earnings have been in decline. Go figure.

Google is not blind, they must notice dropping eCPM. It might be the reason they are considering this: http://forums.makingmoneywithandroid.com/advertising-networks/20255-might-dramatically-change-things-worse.html

Did they give instructions on how to opt in? Or, are they rolling out the availability of video ads to only a few developers? Any idea if those of us who didn’t get the email can opt in?