This might dramatically change things for the worse

Google’s bringing sponsored app placements to the Play Store

What do you think?

Might be an opportunity as well ,
for sure we will not be able to stand against giants but may be we can target some keywords which are less competitive

All those giants might start advertising on Google Play and stop pouring money into ad networks - meaning lower eCPM for us.

This is a very sad news for us. Our visibility will decrease even further. Developers will pay Google directly for getting the traffic, and we won’t see a dime out of it.

I agree. Doesn’t sound good. Makes it especially even harder for games that aren’t designed to only squeeze money from users. Makes me sad.

Excellent news for Google, that’s the only direct consequence i can think of right now…

not good news for those of us that rely on ad revenue

bad news… rankings will be adultered and big bucks will split into GP and AdNetworks meaning less money for developers who use Ads

Very sad information… Is there any info when it will become alive and is that for sure?

I cant see Google biting the hand that feeds it. If they cripple ad revenue for devs, no more devs. No more devs means no more apps and GP will fade. Remember, without devs churning our apps, there is no Google Play.

I freaking called it (I think everyone called it)

I think this is great for apps, even those who depend on ad revenue. There is no reason why clash of clans would suspend all other campaigns in favor or search ads on gplay. Its just another chanel for them. This is the same thing as adwords

this also explains why they now have a different approach to suspending apps, now they want to keep more of them because some of them will be potential advertisers.

here is the original article by the way
A New Way to Promote Your App on Google Play | Android Developers Blog

We have to think who will be advertise themselves… For sure not small developers, as we are, but biggest companies who already are high in rankings. They said that is “pilot program”, so we have to wait how will this goes. I suggest no sadness till then ;). Just another point to justify for us.

How exactly?

There is no reason why clash of clans would suspend all other campaigns in favor or search ads on gplay. Its just another chanel for them.

Their budget will remain the same though, meaning less money will go to ad networks.

The only thing clear here is we won’t see a cent of that money is all for Google’s pocket and less for other advertising channels. Take it as you want.

Ah, and a place spot you can’t compete with…

That might have been true in the past, but most devs relying mostly on ad revenue aren’t the big players that fill the rankings in GPlay.
Like others have said, if it does get fully integrated then it will just be a new channel. With that said there will most certainly be a hit to eCPMs of ad networks, although the scale of that is anyone’s guess.

If you had a positive ROI from increased installs, why wouldn’t you increase your ad budget and try to get more users elsewhere? thats what all the games are doing, they advertise on TV here in the states.

Yea at first, apps with ad revenue models will take a hit, because everyone will try to advertise in search results, but eventually it will even out.

Also, say I have an app that makes money only from ads, now I advertise my app on google play search, i have many more downloads, much more inventory, and to fill that inventory I will discount the ads, so now adnetworks and advertisers can have even more discounted inventory from me.

I will never again develop for android… will keep working on the Existing App but no investments in a new Android Project.
F*CK Google… the ad revenue got a big punch in Feb… everyone hates ads. Better Paid Apps - if they have value the user will pay for it.

disaster for ad network,developer who need traffic will contact Google directly not ad company

1. its going to be very expensive placement.
  2. tons n tons of competition will keep the bid unrealistically high
  3. not much effectiveness for such ads in certain niches.
  4. not enough inventory.

this is not a threat at all. it will definitely affect the downloads via organic search for your app. but it wont have much effect on ad spending on traffic sources.

I think it will affect badly. Because now there is no developer to pay and they get all the revenue, they can make it relatively cheap