Airpush - Thank you to our valued developers

Hello MMWA,

I wanted to quickly share the following article with you all . . .

How AirPush bootstrapped its mobile ad network to $150M in revenue | PandoDaily

I’m very excited and proud of how far Airpush has come. We were founded just two years ago at a point where we only had a few hundred apps on our network. Now in 2013 we have over 100,000 apps and more than 5,000 advertisers relying on Airpush each and every day. Our revenue has grown over 300% in the last two years, which is phenomenal considering we’ve been completely self-funded and bootstrapped since the beginning. Everyone at Airpush knows that none of this success would be possible without you guys, our valued developers. You guys are the foundation of our network and I personally want to thank you for making Airpush what it is today. Our success comes directly from you and we sincerely recognize and appreciate your loyalty and dedication to Airpush.

Cheers!

Nice article! Great to see some press coverage about a successful business which has been bootstrapped. It can get frustrating to read about companies receiving outside funding all the time, as if that’s the only measure of success. For the vast majority of indie devs, that’s simply not a realistic model to aspire to.

I’m looking forward to seeing more cool stuff coming from Airpush in the near future! The new dashboard & smartwall seem to be receiving accolades. It will be good to see what other innovations can follow. Especially if you’re keen to try out new ad formats (as it mentions in the article, push notifications are probably not the way of the future).

[This is ok with Delug, who concedes that notification-tray ads are unlikely to be the future of mobile advertising.]

Great to know :slight_smile:

Yeah I’m sure that’s the general consensus. eCPMs are much lower than they used to be for Push ads, and so at some point the sacrifices for serving them will outweigh the benefits they offer.
As we’ve all seen there are newer and more innovative ad units emerging and current networks are adapting (AirPush now running all types of ad units now!).

@A1ka1inE Regarding your point about push eventually hitting a point of “diminishing returns,” you are incorrect for 1 simple reason – monetization of INACTIVE USERS.
Even if the push ecpm’s keep going lower, the fact that push/icon ads allows you to monetize inactive users on a continual basis ensures that the ARPU will always be higher than banner/interstitial ads, except for the tiny % of apps which have gigantically high user engagement as evidenced by active user % and impressions per user.
eCPM is a very misleading metric to compare banner ads to push ads, considering push ads allows you to monetize 100% of users on a daily basis and banner ads only a much much smaller %. ARPU is the best metric and I wish the ad networks gave it in their stats portals.

I remember somebody on this forum posted a few months ago a formal comparison of actual ARPU for Admob vs. Airpush, and after only 1 month it was some 5x difference in Airpush’s favor even though the eCPM’s weren’t that much higher than Admob. And you could see from the charts that he posted that the Airpush ARPU was continually trending higher due to the recurring monetization of inactive users,so it would have ended up much higher than 5x eventually.

Do you remember that post ?

@Phil.Airpush I read this article earlier today and I found it mindblowingly impressive. I knew you guys had strong growth but I didn’t expect the numbers given in the article.
Just please promise us that you will take some of that $$ and continue to invest into more reliable stats systems, because we’ve all had a rocky ride with that.

It has been rock solid since the new developer portal was released, but that’s only been a week so I hope you guys can keep it up. It’s a shame to lose developers over an issue like unreliable reporting !!!

I agree, I will be a happy camper as long as their dashboard doesn’t run into the usual reporting errors. I am very satisfied with CPM especially with their increase in smartwall. Lets hope the accurate dashboard and high CPMs continue!

Yes I do, since it my post lol. Since then data has drastically changed for me with Airpush. It’s still worth it for the reasons you listed and I agree with you for the most part.

At some point it will surely reach a level where it’s not a viable ad unit anymore though. Who knows when that time will actually come; it’s anyone’s guess.

oh LOL i didn’t realize it was your post…great post :wink:
at some point you may be right, however I still think the ARPU gains from inactive user monetization makes that inflection point very far away.

I know this has been discussed before somewhere in the forum, but i cant bother to search for it right now hehhee

Do Airpush banner or interstitial ad units trigger virus alarms? Thank you!