Advertising Terms

Hey guys!
My new game is set to launch start December and I am interested in integrating ads into the code prior to release. The plan initially was to use admob banners throughout gameplay, Full screen interstitials(impressions, not clicks) every 10 deaths(it is an infinite runner- we were thinking chartboost) and an adcolony video when they attempted to leave using the return button. However, I am very new to this and know little to nothing about advertising. Here are some terms I am unsure about-
1)Fill Rate
2) Refresh rate(and is a higher rate better or lower)
3)CTR
4)RPM
5)Requests

I understand that not many people click on the ads, and hence thought impressions was better for the interstitials. Do any of you guys have any suggestions? Which would be the best options(Most users would be United States based) ? Anything else you wish to tell me?
Thanks for all the help, it is truly appreciated :slight_smile: I apologize for any incorrect grammar.
Thank you!
VB
99 BIT

1)Fill Rate
Ad request/ad shown (impressions). 99% fill rate means for every 100 ad requests, 99 ad is shown. Higher is better.

1. Refresh rate(and is a higher rate better or lower)
    How many seconds for refreshing the ad. There is no better between high and low.

3)CTR
Click through rate. Out of 100 impressions, there is 1 click means 1% CTR.

4)RPM
Revenue per 1000 impressions.

5)Requests
Ad requests.

You may try mobileCore for interstitial ad. See my signature for referral link.

Thank you! This was really helpful. Regarding refresh rates, wouldn’t a higher rate be better? I am assuming that each new refresh will bring in more impressions, but with every word I type I feel more and more that I am wrong

Yes, it will bring more impressions but CTR will be lower. Also, users might not have sufficient time to engage with the ad if it refresh too fast. But generally, higher refresh rate sounds better, you need to do some experiment yourself.

One thing to note is that the definition of these metrics can vary from ad network to ad network.

Requests

This is typically a count of the requests from your app/site to the ad server for an ad. How many times you asked them to send you an ad.

1)Fill Rate
Ad request/ad shown (impressions)

Yes. But this can also be misleading at times.

Some ad networks have additional metrics that will show the # of ads returned for ad requests. This is a better calculation of fill rate, as it shows how many times they responded to the ad request with a valid ad.

The additional calculation is (ad impressions / ads returned), which would show you use rate.

This additional step can uncover issues with valid ads not being used on the device due to latency, connection type, creative mismatches, etc. It can also uncover issues with the ad network returning back bad creatives, malformed tags, etc.

Nice posts. Keep posting such needed information. Thank’s!

it will bring more impressions but CTR will be lower. Also, users might not have sufficient time to engage with the ad if it refresh too fast.