Tapjoy typical payout

What is the typical payout from Tapjoy for a “Download and run this app” type of offer - for users in the U.S. (or other place - as it seems it can vary as it depends on what the app advertisers are bidding). I have heard a figure around $0.20 to $0.40 for this simplest (and least intrusive) type of offer. I know that this can much less i.e. $0.05 to $0.08 in other areas (non-U.S.).

For comparision, AppBrain typically pays $0.18 per app download (though it is non-incentivized i.e. user is not rewarded for looking at an app - which means it is higher).

Tapjoy suggests a $0.20 to $0.40 payout for U.S. users for this type of simple offer - and it seems a bit much since AppBrain can only manage $0.18.

Also Leadbolt AppWall is in same ballpark (though it can vary - and perhaps also does so depending on app advertiser bidding).

So what is the “typical” value for this simple type of offer in the U.S., U.K. (major markets) - and if some could point out the lower end for this type of simple offer.

I would also really like to know this information. I’m planning to implement Tapjoy with IAP in a game soon and I’m sure there are plenty of people here who have used Tapjoy before.

I currently run a Tapjoy in my app. The lowest price for 'Download and run this app" is 0.02. Not really sure if it is 0.20 always for US or UK market as you mentioned. In Tapjoy the minimum bid is 0.10/install from advertiser’s side (i can be wrong). For me the stats varies between 0.02 to 0.20 per install. I had 1.46$ installs also, but it happens when they buy something.

About Appbrain, is there any guarantee that they pay 0.18$ to devs per install? Can’t believe, I saw here people stats, that was not 0.18/install for sure…

Tapjoy has now started showing video ads as well - however those only pay $0.01-0.02 according to tapjoy and they are not that common (i.e. not huge inventory).

So I guess you cannot rely on there always being a good/fast way to earn $0.01-0.02 by having user just see some ad. Though realistically, user clicking on “Download and run this app” seems to be the baseline for “user effort”.

That is, one can talk about “how should I price” the app - by how long it takes the user to earn that amount (and whether it is even realistic to earn that amount via Tapjoy offer).

There are other Tapjoy offers which are more complex - like downloading a game and finish the tutorial (usually means the first game) - these should not be too bad (and they pay 2x or 3x more than the baseline above) - however usually these games have 100MB+ sizes.

Then there are other more complex offers - like sign up for this or that (which I would stay away from myself).

Unlike monetization via Google payment (where some games offer 250,000 coins for $99 - and are probably targeting the “whales”), with Tapjoy you can only charge so much:

• up front
  • during the lifetime of the app

I was recently considering this issue - whether to have each offer go a long way until user needs to do Tapjoy offer again.

OR whether each offer should only go so far, but something like $1 gets them everything.

The psychology behind it may go like this - from developer perspective, forcing a user to do tapjoy offers occasionally may seem like it is nicer, and just do for lifetime of user.

However a more realistic examination knows that many users maybe MORE pissed off at that, and may get into a Tapjoy-earning-frenzy and earn the whole thing and be done with it - i.e. the mental effort required for a user to switch away from an app and do a Tapjoy offer may favor having user do all the money earning at once. This strategy would suggest user earning from each tapjoy offer only going so far, but then the user may sense “I am only so far away from completely unlocking the app” (for example at $1 payment).

Another thing to add to this is that for many casual apps, the users will attrition away anyway - so may as well monetize them early. Although the stats for attrition maybe misleading as well, since it is possible that a fan of the app may pay more and continue using the app for longer - in fact it could be argued that it is EASIER to have existing paying users pay more - which suggests one should keep open the possibility to charge more (for non-games without a consumable item, it could be perhaps new features in an upgrade).

Of course for many games, just a $1 payment may not be enough if the user can be monetized for more (esp. for games which engage the users for weeks).

What you say meshes well with the expectation developers have for AppBrain, Leadbolt etc.

There maybe exceptions, but when I was last monitoring AppBrain some months back, I noted a $0.18 increment, and I think that was the consensus that they paid about that much (and from discussions with AppBrain etc.).

So that would suggest $0.18 is a “fair” figure for non-incentivized - for incentivized (like Tapjoy) one WOULD expect the payout to be less - perhaps half that i.e. $0.09 or so - and that seems to fit with the Tapjoy payout for the simplest “Download and run the app” offers i.e. I see $0.04+ to $0.08+ type figures for these.

The larger 100MB+ type of games which require you play the first level will pay more i.e. $0.105 type of payouts.

I am taking these figures from the Tapjoy credits listed in the offerwall (and knowing what these mean in terms of dollars to the developer) - the credits will vary depending on the conversion rate you have set on Tapjoy website for the app - for example you may have set $1 = 100 credits or 1000 credits etc. When you set 1000 credits you can see in more detail what the credits are - for example the same 2 credits will show greater resolution 23 credits (when you switch from $1 = 100 credits to $1 = 1000 credits).

With payouts of $0.08+ - this means to get about $1 you need to ask user to do such offers about 10+ times - which is reasonable if your app is good (non-game).

I was initially thinking of charging $2 - but the effort required to reach that seemed a bit too much. So it perhaps depends on what type of app you have, and whether you can stagger out the payments, or whether it is simpler to have the user feel attracted to pay early and get better conversion (before the user attritions away).

For an app that has some great features, it maybe worth it to structure it so the user wants to pay early and get it over with (perhaps). While for games etc. which are going to have longer engagement, it maybe better to stagger it out perhaps ?

Anyway, this is all said without having any real experience with a Tapjoy app before. So just pulling this out of the air.

What is your experience with users converting to paying you somethign with Tapjoy - were you asking users to pay a certain amount, or was a trickle-charging i.e. occasionally asking them to pay with Tapjoy credits ?

Did you feel that most users are comfortable paying something with Tapjoy - i.e. like a 40% of daily users ? Or was it something like 10% or 1% ? I realize this depends on the app etc., but if you said it is 40% then at least it shows that a good app could achieve that - that type of thing.

@adforandroidapps,
I really like your style of reply and posting… You write too much and what is strange it is always useful)
So, to unlock some feature of my app they need to pay 0.50$, which is 50 coins. My rate is 1$=100 Coins. Now, Im going to release an update and will devide it to 2 parts, so both 50cent =1$ from each user to unlock the whole feature of my app. This is the only way to unlock the features in my app, i dont have any google or other IAP.
I did not receive any emails or complains about unlocking it through Tapjoy. NONE complains… Maybe it is 50 coins and they can unlock it fast, dont know, but with 2$ as you want to do, you should really devide them by pieces and ask them to unlock piece by piece or buy it via Google IAP.

Thanks about the dividing it up part …

What sort of conversion rate did you see - or to be more appropriate - did the conversion rate measure up to your expectations or did it under perform it by half etc. ?

That is, what you were expecting from your apriori sense of what it “should” be like …

Great information from @Daler and @adforandroidapps here!
Thanks guys!
Has anyone attempted using discounts with Tapjoy? (whether or not you adapt IAP to it).
Example:
50 coins to unlock level 2, 50 coins to unlock level 3, 50 coins to unlock level 4.
OR
100 coins unlocks all levels.
That psychology (which is used worldwide in business) should work really well.
Also, if you overcharge in value for individual levels, you could make the discounted deal seem way better for some users when you are actually making normal revenue for it.

Oh and Tapjoy completed offers persist through app updates yes? Is the cached data secure (as in users don’t have access to the data + do you know where the data is stored?)

@adforandroidapps,
Well, of course my expectation was higher(about million:))) but Tapjoy worked well. I usually complain a lot but in Tapjoy case I dont have anything to say. If your app is interesting people will definitely make coins. @A1ka1inE,
Very well idea about levels. Thanks, will keep it in my mind. About updates of the app, if you will not change the api-key of Tapjoy in your new release of the app, users who even deleted your app a month ago can retrieve all coins that they made. So in this case Tapjoy takes care, no problem here) At least it workes for me all this time.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think part of the payment can really depend on what you require the user to do. A lot of CPIs you’ll see for Tapjoy will contain the same app but require more from the user - 30 coins for downloading and running, 60 coins for downloading and completing the tutorial. 500 coins for getting to level 10, etc.

The premise behind this is that the more the user spends playing the game, the more likely they are to continue using it. Payouts are according to the amount of effort it takes the user.

If you’re considering Tapjoy I also recommend you checkout TheoremReach’s SDK - taking a survey is a little more involved than a simple app download, but it’s far simpler than playing a game to up to level X and our surveys tend to pay an average of $2/complete. We see a lot of developers add both options as buttons for users to empower them to earn content how they want.