Upgrade to the Google Play version - On Aug. 1 2014

As you all must be aware that admob is asking for “Google Play version” upgrade in place of standalone admob SDK.
I came across following concerns/doubts before updating my few apps.

• Following requirements is mentioned to get the “Google play version”
  • “latest copy of the Android SDK”
  • “android:minSdkVersion = 9”

Does it mean that new update or new apps will not be compatible with android version < 2.3 anymore??

New Admob is flashing below warning in the dashboard.

Have you upgraded your SDK?
On Aug. 1 2014, Google Play will stop accepting new or updated apps using the standalone Google Mobile Ads SDKs v6.4.1 or lower. Upgrade to the Google Play version of the Mobile Ads SDK to take advantage of new features, including automatic updates such as bug fixes.

Just for experiment purpose, i updated one of my app WITHOUT ANY SDK UPDATE. I simply changed a full stop in the text and used old SDK only.

Google accepted the APP. what does that mean??

From personal experience having gone through this last week, the admob integration changes aren’t a big deal…It’s the nightmare forced ADT update that will be a headache if you’re using eclipse. It does look like support for older versions is sunsetting. I just got this email from skype this morning…May be related.

“Skype apps for Android OS 2.2 (or below) are being permanently retired
We’ve noticed that you are, or previously were, signed into Skype on a phone running the Android 2.2 (or below) operating system. We’re sorry to inform you that we are now retiring all Skype apps that work on these older versions of the Android operating system. As a result, within the next few weeks, you’ll no longer be able to sign in and use Skype on any Android 2.2 (or below) phone. If possible, we recommend that you upgrade your phone to a newer version of Android to continue using Skype.”

Yeah, Android 2.2 and lower are basically dead. At least as far as Google Play is concerned.

I submitted updated APK to Google Play 4 hours before. I did not make any change to SDK and nothing to get Google Play Services. I was just using latest version of the admob sdk. I wanted to check if Google play will reject the update as they have said.

But surprisingly App has been updated and its visible in the market. Ads are working too.

Does it mean that there ia no need to upgrde to Googlr Play Service SDK and ignore the warning of admob dashboard??

is it compulsory upgrading to the Google Play version of the Mobile Ads SDK ?

I updated apps with play services on June.

1. I was on latest sdk, i don’t know what would happen.
  2. Yes, if you want to use admob with play services, you have to set “android:minSdkVersion = 9”…I was bit confused as play services itself supports lower than 2.3 (with" play services for froyo") but that is NOT for Admob. Because play services does other thing apart from ad serving. Play services has compatibility with < 2.3, but to use admob, use play serv for 2.3+ and set “android:minSdkVersion = 9”

** Yes your app will not support < 2.3 anymore. Unless you make another apk without new admob.
I upgraded to new admob in may and updated to play services in june;did lot of work :stuck_out_tongue: …so far no problem, with play service apk size will increase by 1mb :frowning:

Is it compulsory to upgrade to Google Play Version of SDK?

Yes, it is. At least Google claims they will not accept apps with old adMob SDK. I think this month is transitional but in September it might get serious. The reason is privacy issues related to ANDROID_ID used by old SDKs.

Ok. I thought 1st august is the final date of old SDK support. But i updated 1app yesterday without any SDK uogration and Google Play accepted it.
Might be they will some more time for developers. But they should always flash correct dates. I was not updating my apps considering that updated apps will be rejected.

Yes. From 1st august you must use GP version of sdk of new and updated app ;don’t trust google they may check it later, will ban that apps.

Hmmmm. Do you really mean it? i mean they should reject it at the time of update itself. Why they should ban the app?

there are so many apps and it needs latest android SDK to upgrade Google Play version SDK.

It includes lots of work. Moreover i read that App which are using Google API needs to have Google Play SDK Upgradation. I am confused.

Because as per play store t&c we should follow the policy and even if they are permitting apps right now that does not mean they don’t have the data. Obviously banning app will be bad; may be- reject and resubmit. But why take a chance with google?

Have you guys updated all your Apps with Google Play SDK as mentioned in the new-admob dashboard?

I tried updating to latest android SDK as one of the requirement. it updated and now neither i can compile with older version nor with latest version.
I want to downgrade to older version if it is not required. Please share your views on this as i am sure that you guys must have thought for this.

moreover new SDK update will increase the APK size to 1 MB which is just super bullsh*t

Noone has upgraded to latest ADT?

As far as I understand, You don’t really need to update every apps you have. The stand alone SDK would still work for apps already published in app stores. You’ll just not gonna be able to get their so called features. But in case you’ll be updating your apps or publishing new apps, you’ll need to use the google play services (there might be a grey area here if you want to support lower android SDKs that has been left out by the google play services which i think only google can answer but you wouldn’t really know where to ask).

Also, if you’re planning to publish apps with the old standalone SDK, Don’t! Don’t play with fire with Google! You’ll definitely lose!

They may accept the apps now but when their system finally tracked it down, you’ll wished you just followed and integrated the google play services. Starting again from scratch when your app is suspended or your account is banned will be much of a hassle than integrating the google play services SDK. It is not worth it.