Age / Gender in Ad Requests

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone sets user age / gender in their ad requests. This supposed to improve ad targeting and eCPMs (for correct settings obviously). Has anyone tried it? Almost all networks I checked allow it.

Hi @Sasha,

There is a similar question on Quora. Russell Schwager, VP of Engineering at Millennial Media has replied and you can check out his answer. Just in case you cannot read it I’ll quote his answer here:

Yes, information provided from the developer or application is used. It’s not the most sophisticated information and has a lot of quality issues but it is used, when it can. An ad server is looking to provide as much targeting information as possible for the advertiser. The advertiser is looking for particular audience segments and this kind of information is important.

At Avocarrot we’ve been using gender and age information for some of our publishers and here are some insights:

1. In some cases gender and age information can increase CPMs by 90%.
  2. Not exactly your question but location and device id information can increase eCPM by 250%

The results come from Avocarrot’s RTB ad exchange. The important thing to keep in mind is that advertisers are willing to pay a premium if they have the correct targeting parameters.

Thanks, but that’s not exactly what I’m asking. My question is - do the developers set this data in their apps? And if yes, do they see the uplift?